No CYA & can't put my signature in

Jul 4, 2015
Findlay, Ohio
I have a 33,000 gallon vinyl liner pool.. I am testing with a TF100 testing kit.. I am very new & very stupid with all of this..my husband ( who unfortunately passed away ) always took care of the pool..my grandsons are trying to help me out because I've had 8 back surgeries & can't do it all.. I opened my pool earlier this year to find I had a broken line..grandsons sawed up concrete dug down got line replaced & I refilled pool for the 2nd time this season.. I tested my CYA & chlorine & pH...my CYA was zero..my chlorine was 3 on the basic test kit & my pH was 7.5.. I tried to put my signature in & this is the message I kept getting...We are sorry this content is not supported via the mobile style... Click here to go to the Forum Homepage.. I am doing this on my tablet..could that be my problem? I have some chlorine tabs & wanted to know how I will know how many to put in to raise CYA till I can get someone to take me to get the product to raise my CYA.. I don't want to get carried away & have to let water out as I've already filled twice this season.. I'm trying to do this right & I'm sure I have some alge in the pool..not as much as there was because I vacuumed to waste when I had to reduce the water level to replace the line.. I appreciate any help I can get.. Until I can get my signature in here are some stats..20 x40 vinyl pool..goes from 3 ft to 9 ft..there is 1 skimmer, 1 inlet & 1 return..there is no bottom drain.. I have Hayward single speed motor (about 5 yrs old) & a Hayward sand filter (about 4 yrs old) but has only been used 3 years because I was unable to open my pool 1 season because I broke my foot & ankle & was totally non weight bearing..this is where my alge problem came in..thanks in advance for your help

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Sounds like you've had some challenging days to say the least, so let's see if we can help you with this issue at the very least okay? Here's what we know:
- You have algae so you need to perform a TFP "SLAM". Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain Review that page and follow it closely.
- You will want to add granule stabilizer for an initial target of "30".
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.
- Adjust pH down to 7.2 BEFORE starting the SLAM.
- Finally, you'll increase your FC to a target of "12" using just regular bleach - generic is fine. Just NO splashless or scented bleaches. Plain only and maintain an FC of 12 until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria.

Not sure if I overlooked it, but how will you test your water? I hope you have either the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. If not, you must have one of those to perform the SLAM. Either of those kits are outstanding and will last you through the entire season and possibly more. I highly recommend the TF-100 (great value) with "Speed Stir".
TFTestkits.net
Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Let's start with that and let us know if you have anymore questions okay. Great to have you with us.

For your signature, see if you can get to it from one of these links:
You can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

Welcome to the forum.

Texas Splash has you covered. It's good to see that you own the "Cadillac" of pool tests, the TF-100!

You need to follow the SLAM process exactly as written, please ask any questions you may have, and ask them all in this thread so all the info is together.

Welcome aboard!

Dom

Do I have to check all of my levels before I slam.. I got some stabilizer and dissolved 4 cups and I still don't have any CYA registering..it had all dissolved by yesterday.. I am so afraid to put to much in and get my levels to high.. I have already filled my pool twice this year..as soon as my grandson can get over here and tell me what kind of a pump and filter I have I will put my signature in..my back won't allow me to get down and look at it..we didn't do this but all my pool equipment is in my basement.. I am very sorry if I am breaking any rules by posting here but I am very confused as to what I should be doing.. I went to that pool math and was virtually lost as to what numbers I am to put in the boxes.. thanks for the help

Just check FC, CYA and pH pre-SLAM, and only FC during the SLAM - the rest of it isn't really important until you've passed the end of SLAM criteria and are ready to begin "normal" pool operations.

How much CYA did you dissolve yesterday, and how did you apply it to the pool?

You're not breaking rules, we just like to have things like the signature there so it's easier to help you. You'll probably need to use the full site to set up your signature if you're having problems on the tablet.

I put it in a sock & hung it in front of my return.. I just put about 6 lbs. In socks & hung it in front of my return..it has almost all dissolved in just a couple of hours.. I figure I need to get some CYA showing before I can do anything.. I have some alge that keeps coming back on the floor of the pool.. I broom it & sweep it every day & even that has helped it get better..if I understand it right I need to wait a few days to check my CYA after putting in stabilizer..is that correct? Am I also right that I need to make sure I have some CYA before I start my slam? I'm pretty sure that CYA number plays in part to figure out my targets.. I will get my signature in tomorrow.. grandson will be off work & can get me the information I need.. thanks for your response

Correct - the CYA number is vital to establishing your SLAM FC level. You applied it perfectly with the sock, you should be able to measure it tomorrow. Having 30ppm CYA will protect your chlorine from the sun without requiring too much chlorine to reach SLAM level.

Almost 100% of what I do in TFP is on a Samsung Tab. Open TFP in a browser, skip Tapatalk and go to the bottom of the page and select Full Website or click Desktop Site in your browser. Either of these will give you access to the full site.

I put it in a sock & hung it in front of my return.. I just put about 6 lbs. In socks & hung it in front of my return..it has almost all dissolved in just a couple of hours.. I figure I need to get some CYA showing before I can do anything.. I have some alge that keeps coming back on the floor of the pool.. I broom it & sweep it every day & even that has helped it get better..if I understand it right I need to wait a few days to check my CYA after putting in stabilizer..is that correct? Am I also right that I need to make sure I have some CYA before I start my slam? I'm pretty sure that CYA number plays in part to figure out my targets.. I will get my signature in tomorrow.. grandson will be off work & can get me the information I need.. thanks for your response
If your pool volume of 33K gallons is correct, that 6lbs of stabilizer added 20ppm of CYA, in addition to the 4 cups (anyone know how much a cup of CYA weighs?).

Use CYA at 30ppm, verify pH then raise FC to your shock level of 12ppm and begin your SLAM.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

You can always tweak your shock level once you have a good CYA reading.

Remember, filter/pump running 24/7 & brush, brush, brush!

Dom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I
If your pool volume of 33K gallons is correct, that 6lbs of stabilizer added 20ppm of CYA, in addition to the 4 cups (anyone know how much a cup of CYA weighs?).

Use CYA at 30ppm, verify pH then raise FC to your shock level of 12ppm and begin your SLAM.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

You can always tweak your shock level once you have a good CYA reading.

Remember, filter/pump running 24/7 & brush, brush, brush!

Dom
I have been running pump 24/7 & have been brushing.. I will check my CYA level tomorrow.. thanks ..will get this under control with your help & my determination

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.