Air entering filter pump piping system

T-rex

Jul 19, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
I am confused... I have air entering my filter pump piping system, among other things.
I have an in-ground pool. when I shut the pump off the next day water has drained out of the system and is replaced with air. I turn the pump on and it primes blows the air out the inlet jets then a blast of DE comes out for about 30 to 60 seconds then clear water. When the pump is running the basket is 98% full of water. There appears to be no leaks when the pump is running. I am accumulating DE on the bottom of the pool.
any one have any ideas?

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: You appear to have an air leak somewhere which is allowing the pressure to equalize and let water flow backwards to your pool. Your entire suction line drains back to the pool and then your pump needs to re-prime and fill back up with water. Has it always done this or did it just start? You mention "among other things". What are those? Perhaps they are related?

You should consider reviewing the TFP Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks page, and while you're at it inspect all pressure side area for air leaks (around the filter housing, air relief gauge, etc). Also be sure to inspect 3-way valves. Even if you don't see water dripping, there could be an issue small enough for air to get in. Try some of those things and let us know if you find anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.