Causes for high copper

hlemon said:
...are you really a dba?
Yep, been a DBA (Oracle, Teradata, and to a lesser extent SQL Server and My SQL) for several <??> decades...
Fun Time, right? :party:

Remember to keep the water balanced during the fill. It's easier than having to rebalance later!

Yuck. I only code SQL....and even then, do it poorly. :lol:

Yes, I am getting soda today and still adding CYA.

The water is still very green and you can't see the bottom of the pool. Last night I brought it up to FC 17 and by this morning I had this:

FC 15
CC 1

I know that I have to keep it in shock (it's at 18 right now) but I was wondering, should I take it even higher into shock to try and finish out the process (it's been a long two weeks and I have POP but my kids don't) or just try to keep it around 15 or so? I still don't have very much CYA so I am going to let the socks soak all day and then take a water sample to the store when I buy the soda. I really thought I would at least have some additional clarity or less green this morning.

I'll also be vacuuming tonight again.

I forgot to add, I'm also a little worried because I am testing using my DPD powder from last year...I stored it in the house all winter, but I wondered if it might be making me think my FC is higher than I really think it is....does anyone know?

hlemon said:
Yes, I am getting soda today and still adding CYA. Last night I brought it up to FC 17 and by this morning I had this:
FC 15
CC 1
I know that I have to keep it in shock (it's at 18 right now) but I was wondering, should I take it even higher into shock to try and finish out the process (it's been a long two weeks and I have POP but my kids don't) or just try to keep it around 15 or so? I still don't have very much CYA so I am going to let the socks soak all day and then take a water sample to the store when I buy the soda. I really thought I would at least have some additional clarity or less green this morning.

I'll also be vacuuming tonight again.

I forgot to add, I'm also a little worried because I am testing using my DPD powder from last year...I stored it in the house all winter, but I wondered if it might be making me think my FC is higher than I really think it is....does anyone know?
a) Your DPD powder should be good for 2 years (yea, I've been reading, LOTS!)
b) Do you have any CYA now? Remember that your chlorine will be zapped by sunlight in a matter of hours without CYA protecting it. I didn't believe it until I tested it out, but I experienced FC of 15 go to 5 in 2 hours of direct sunlight.
c) How long has it been at shock level? It's "shocking" how fast algae spreads... and your pump is running 24x7?
d) My kids don't have POP, but force sometimes helps! :roll:

I think I have about 20 CYA at this point. I mixed some with hot water in a shaker container and broadcast it, and I've also got two socks at each return right now.

I have my daughter checking it and adding chlorine every two hours to keep shock.

It's not blackish grey, but I do think it isn't the same color as last year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.