solar panel roof damage

reebok

Apr 19, 2009
Lakeland, FL
unfortunately water pooling under my solar panels has rotted out some plywood on my 3 year old roof. the way I have to lay them makes it almost impossible to change the layout. because they lay directly on the roof, water pools underneath them and doesn't get out. anyone have any ideas or solutions to get the panels up off the roof a bit?

Do you have any pictures? That's not common in the North because our roof pitch is much higher to handle snow. I know some panels are much better at allowing the roof to dry underneath than others. What brand are the panels?

the only thing is, they aren't laying that way now. they are laying vertical (if you call the way in the picture horizontal) so they are laying on the slope in the left hand side of the picture that is only shingles in the picture, on the close side of the chimney. the damaged part is the flat part in the middle of the picture. I may be able to move them back horizontal, and further up the slope on the left hand side of the picture (just move them to the left as you look at that picture), but am trying to avoid that.

Attachments

• solar panels 008-2.jpg
    solar panels 008-2.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 196
I'm not certain the solar panels are the problem. Shingles are usually only warranted on a 4:12 pitch roof without special underlayment, and even with the special underlayment only down to 2:12. That roof looks virtually flat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.