Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: solar panel roof damage

1. Back To Top    #1

solar panel roof damage

unfortunately water pooling under my solar panels has rotted out some plywood on my 3 year old roof. the way I have to lay them makes it almost impossible to change the layout. because they lay directly on the roof, water pools underneath them and doesn't get out. anyone have any ideas or solutions to get the panels up off the roof a bit?
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: solar panel roof damage

Do you have any pictures? That's not common in the North because our roof pitch is much higher to handle snow. I know some panels are much better at allowing the roof to dry underneath than others. What brand are the panels?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

sunheater www.smartpool.com
    the camera isn't here right now, but I may have some older pictures...
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

the only thing is, they aren't laying that way now. they are laying vertical (if you call the way in the picture horizontal) so they are laying on the slope in the left hand side of the picture that is only shingles in the picture, on the close side of the chimney. the damaged part is the flat part in the middle of the picture. I may be able to move them back horizontal, and further up the slope on the left hand side of the picture (just move them to the left as you look at that picture), but am trying to avoid that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm not certain the solar panels are the problem. Shingles are usually only warranted on a 4:12 pitch roof without special underlayment, and even with the special underlayment only down to 2:12. That roof looks virtually flat.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat