Pool test results

Jul 18, 2016
Modesto, CA
Here are my pool test results. Pool supply store says the only thing I can do is empty the pool and start over. I live in the Central Valley of CA in drought conditions. Ain't happening. Hoping to get suggestions.

FAC: zero (pool guy put chlorine in on Thurs, 4 days ago)
TAC: zero
PH: 7.4
Alkalinity: 80
CYA: 100
Calcium: 700
TDS: 3000
Metals: zero
Phosphate: 1000

Have a recurring issue with mustard algae. I'm trying the Remington Solar Chlorine-Free Ionizer, but it has only been in the pool for one week.

Thank you in advance!!

Megan

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: If you CYA truly is at 100 or more, then a water exchange (or some partials) are what you need to do to lower it. Big challenge is that pool store testing. The are notoriously wrong, especially with CYA. It may actually be much higher. You need the proper at-home test kit to take charge of your water. Either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. Only when are able to confirm the true CYA and lower it to something more manageable can you actually maintain the proper FC level. In the meantime, make sure there are no tablets in use and increase FC only with regular liquid bleach. I would also recommend staying way from that ionizer as it looks like it introduces copper into the water as noted HERE. Once high enough, copper can only be removed via water exchange. Regular bleach is your best bet. Feed your pool everyday. But start with the proper test kit please. Can't emphasize that enough. Welcome Megan!

This web site is all about the homeowner taking control of their own pool. If it were me, the first thing I would do is get rid of the pool guy, buy yourself one of the suggested test kits, and read read read 'Pool School'...link above. Along the way of learning there will be many who will help you as you learn to take control of your pool.

Thank you for the kind welcome!!

Unfortunately, we rent and have no choice about the pool guy. I'm not against putting in my own chemicals, but I must work with the pool guy. I'm going to show him the test results and see what he says.

I'm very happy I found this site though. We will eventually buy and have a pool of our own. Looking forward to learning more. Wish I had known about this site 4 years ago when I was helping my dad with his pool.

We do have a tablet floater that the pool guy usually keeps full.

The ionizer does put copper in the pool, but only very low levels, and I'll be keeping a very close eye on the copper levels for the reason you stated. I've read every review I can find on sites like Home Depot, Costco, Sams, Lowe's, Amazon, etc. They all rave about it. I got mine from Costco; it was cheaper there and they have a great return policy if it doesn't work out. It is suppose to lower the amount of chlorine you need to put in your pool and, according to reviews, lower the amount of time your pump has to run which is what I'm hoping for. Not looking forward to August's electric bill. It will be our first here in Modesto, avg temp 100. :/

What about the high phosphates? Would you recommend SLAMing?

Unfortunately you are in a bad place right now. Exceptionally high CYA and continued use of tabs will only make water management more difficult. Keep in mind many, not all but many, so-called pool techs don't really understand or follow ideal water management protocol because they (you) are on a tight schedule. They can't add chlorine every evening like you would. All they can do is fill-up the floater or in-line chlorinator, adjust a few things, and move-on to the next stop. That is never an ideal situation. Since you rent, I suppose your hands are tied if the landlords insists on such an arrangement. It sounds as though you are quickly approaching a point where the CYA will be so high that no amount of chlorine will be able to keep-up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.