Dirt Stains?

May 29, 2009
So Cal
I've had this pool for 6 years, and this is the first time this has come up. I vacuum my pool and check the chemistry every week.

For the past two months there's been this dirt looking stain in my pool. Which has actually caused me to vacuum it twice a week since it looks really bad. I tried googling around to see if I could see what this could be. I don't think it's pollen, because pollen floats? So I'm guessing it's dirt?

I brush the pool before I vacuum, and i'm able to get all of the dirt when i'm done cleaning. But it keeps coming back every 3-5 days. Is there any way to prevent this? I don't have a time lapse camera to record whats going on. Maybe a squirrell is digging up the dirt in my planters? This is the first time this has happens in my 6 years of owning this pool, so I don't know what's causing this.

Here are some pics (those darker spots are leaves)

2m4sl7t.jpg

2nqegiu.jpg

dll0si.jpg

rickster said:
Well my PH and Chlorine levels are fine. And i've shocked the pool twice in the last month. So you really think it's algae? I guess i should keep shocking it till it goes away?
What are you your water measurements (FC, CC, PH, TA, CYA, CH)?
What does "PH and chlorine are fine." mean?
What is your chlorinating method?

Please understand that we help out by using the actual water measurements. Otherwise we are would be just guessing while looking at a picture of a pool of water and "stuff".
Measurements may be important for us to help, but are necessary for you to help yourself! 8)

With some shocking and scrubbing I managed to make the algae go away.

I think my problem is chlorine, i've been having to add some to the pool each week. So at the end of the week the chlorine level is really low. I have a aqua rite chlorine generator, is there anyway to test that it's working? I have it working at the highest setting it will go. Anyway I can replace a part of it instead of buying a whole new one for $300?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Once Algae gets hold, the SWG can't keep up. Shocking is what usually fixes the problem. Once you control it, the SWG should be okay, if not, have it checked out.

Keep shocking with liquid chlorine and do the overnight FC test (follow the instructions in Pool School), and you can stop shocking when the FC holds overnight.

When you are done shocking, I'd advise you to run with a higher than normal level of FC to keep the algae away, as mustard algae - if that was it - can be resistant to chlorine. Keep your FC at about 2ppm more than you normally would.

There is nothing wrong with your SWG. You have algae. The algae is consuming the chlorine faster than the SWG can produce it. The algae hasn't completely taken over because of the SWG, which is just barely able to hold it in check. Simply adding some chlorine and vacuuming up the dead algae you can see doesn't kill it all. You need to shock the pool, which means maintaining a high FC level for some time. See the directions on how to shock at Pool School.

Your generator may not be at fault. What you need most right now is a full set of test numbers.
Anything you do without knowing your water's chemistry is just guesswork, and may even make things worse. If you don't have a test kit capable of at least free and combined or total chlorine, ph, ta, and cya tests, then take a sample to a pool store to at least get a ballpark idea. Post your numbers here.

JasonLion said:
There is nothing wrong with your SWG. You have algae. The algae is consuming the chlorine faster than the SWG can produce it. The algae hasn't completely taken over because of the SWG, which is just barely able to hold it in check. Simply adding some chlorine and vacuuming up the dead algae you can see doesn't kill it all. You need to shock the pool, which means maintaining a high FC level for some time. See the directions on how to shock at Pool School.
I see thanks for that. I'm actually running low on my test kit supplies. What/where would you recommend I purchase new kits?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.