Best types of bleach/soda and CYA to use on an intex ultra frame + sand filter + swg?

I'm trying to get a handle on the best 3rd party bleach to buy and use for the pool.. as well as CYA.

It seems from Pool School, my bags of shock arent really needed if i use 6-8% bleach as the alternative.

The pool is the 18x52 size pool, roughly 45-46.5" water with 6981 gallons + 2800~ gal/hr sand pump and the intex 7000 series salt water generator.
I'm using the TF100 kit + the Taylor test for salt.

Trying to get my FC stabilized since after opening the pool, i had a period where i had no chlorine in it, then used regular shock to bring it up and get rid of slime which happened in about 2 days time.. bringing it up so the SWG can keep up.

I"ve used the calculator, i can see how many ounces to use and all for each.

I bought the white pellet form of CYA in this Clorox brand.. spread around the pool perimeter, but its stubborn to dissolve (any worries about swimming with it along the edges, should i have put in the wall skimmer instead or is this bad for intex stuff?

Is standard Dollar General type generic clorox bleach ok to use, or do i have to watch out if it contains calcium (i havent tested the calcium yet to see how hard the water is). I'm assuming the bottle says if its 6% or 8% etc..

I think i also read about tying a sock to the ladder.. perhaps i should have done this with the CYA pellets instead.

Thanks for any brand suggestions here and ways to apply it.

Re: Best types of bleach and CYA to use on an intex ultra frame + sand filter + swg?

CYA is always best added via a sock hung in front of the return. You can squeeze it as it hangs and get it all dissolved in a day or so. If you have undissolved CYA sitting on the liner it can and will discolor it. Be sure to brush often or if there's a lot vacuum it up. If you have to backwash you will lose a large portion of it before it fully dissolves. No chemicals are recommended to be added into the skimmer.

Bleach is bleach is liquid chlorine. It's all the same, but you want it to be fresh as possible and skip the splashless, or great scent, etc. Just regular plain old bleach. Pool stores or big box stores sell it as liquid chlorine. Its the same stuff just a higher concentration/percentage. Either is recommended for your pool. Bleach is generally just bound to water and a little salt.

You can buy CYA at any pool store, Walmart or big box home improvement stores. Just look for at least 95% CYA aka. triazine, etc. It goes by different names, but its all the same stuff. What you bought looks great.

Re: Best types of bleach and CYA to use on an intex ultra frame + sand filter + swg?

NO to dollar store bleach. Too weak - only 2-2.75%. If there is NO list of ingredients which will give you the % (8.25, 10.0) it is not worth the money.

I just tested ph.. i'm about 6.4, despite having chlorine close etc.. my TA seems to be around 25 or 30..

Its my understanding i can add store bought baking soda, maybe 1lb for 6980 gallons to go up 10ppm? If so, i'd need quite alot.. i doubt they sell it by this much in a grocery store.. what do people typically buy?

Would something like this arm and hammer be good 13.5lbs for $16? Or walmart in the swim 23 lb for $36 or so? Or arm and hammer liquid seems to be around $8 at walmart (and i can get it asap)?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.