Question About SLAM.

I am a complete newbie to pools as of May this year. So not knowing anything I went to a pool store for "free" water tests and have spent a fortune. Now 2 1/2 months later I have a slight algae problem. I have done a lot of research on here and am excited to regain control of my pool and my wallet. My Taylor K-2006 Test Kit Comp Chlorine FAS-DPD will be here Thursday and I will run completely new tests based on that. I am anticipating the possibility that I will need to do a partial drain and refill depending on CYA levels and also bring my ph down to 7.2 before beginning the SLAM process. Once I drain and refill will my test results be instant or do I need to wait a certain amount of time to allow the water to run through the pump and circulate to be accurate?
Thanks so much to TFP and also to the contributors! I will become a supporter as soon as my pool quits bleeding my wallet dry...lol

Re: Anyone ever TFP their friend's pool "just because"

Sorry to jump in here but do you happen to know if Poolife Defend+ Algaecide has metals or bromine in them? I am waiting for my K-2006 test kit to get here on Thursday to begin the process of a SLAM and change to the TFP method after dealing with algae and the pool store bleeding my wallet and my pool is still jacked up. Just in case here's a list of what all I have used. PhosFree, Poolife Defend+ Algaecide, HTH Pool Clarifier, AlkUp, Muriatic Acid, Calcium Hyporhclorite Shock, Trichlor 3" Tablets.
Thanks so much!

Re: Anyone ever TFP their friend's pool "just because"

Sorry to jump in here but do you happen to know if Poolife Defend+ Algaecide has metals or bromine in them? I am waiting for my K-2006 test kit to get here on Thursday to begin the process of a SLAM and change to the TFP method after dealing with algae and the pool store bleeding my wallet and my pool is still jacked up. Just in case here's a list of what all I have used. PhosFree, Poolife Defend+ Algaecide, HTH Pool Clarifier, AlkUp, Muriatic Acid, Calcium Hyporhclorite Shock, Trichlor 3" Tablets.
Thanks so much!

Always start your own thread. This is important information so when you begin your SLAM (in your own thread) please include this list of chemicals.

The algaecide you were given to use is a mix of Polyquat and linear quat algaecide. It has no metal or bromine in it. But it's not very effective either (except for draining your wallet). Once you start to raise your chlorine levels, these chemicals will simply breakdown and leave your pool. The linear quat portion of the algaecide might cause some mild foaming of the water as it breaks down but should otherwise be harmless.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.