Pool paint?

Aug 24, 2008
I recently purchased a foreclosed house with an IG plaster pool in the backyard (I am sure all of you know where this is going).

The pool was a green swamp and even after pressure/acid washing there are stains covering the majority of the surface. Needless to say, even with sparkling water the pool looks terrible. I am aware that replastering is probably the best resolution but it isn't in the budget.

This brings us to my question, what is the best low cost paint to use? Yes, an oxymorn in the best sense of the word but just humor me. I would love to go the epoxy route but that isn't exactly low cost either.

So far, I have found a Chlorinated-Alkyd paint that claims 7-10 years of maintanance free durability and it would cost around $350-$400 to do the entire pool.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of paint? I am sceptical of it lasting a full 7 years but 4-5 would still leave me happy. What type of maintanance would be required before repainting it once it does wear out?

Lastly, I live in Phoenix and the temps have been hitting 100 during the day (60's at night) but the max recommended temp to apply is 85. Is that to prevent damage to the plaster or the paint? I really don't want to wait till October/November when it cools off to have a nice clean looking pool.

Any thoughts, suggestions, rants etc are welcome!

Thanks

lovingHDTV said:
I'm very interested in what you learn as I've wondered the same thing.

Thanks for the interest. I happened to stumble upon an epoxy based paint at this site for a great price. They are running a 25% off promo on all pool paints until June 1st. For me that works out to $304 shipped (2 coats for 730ish sq ft) so I think I'm going to give it a shot.

The question remains though, is it more myth that anything that you shouldn't drain your plaster pool if the temp is above 85F? The cure time for the paint is 5 days before refilling so I would definitely appreciate some in site on the matter. I'll wait till the fall if I have to but would like an expert opinion as to why.

Thanks

I have never seen a painted pool that approximates anything close to a plaster finish. They simply do not hold up (for long) and don't look nearly as good. :cry:

Done properly, I believe almost all stains can be removed from plaster. I would wait 'til I could afford to fix the plaster rather than spend money on a dubious paint job.

That said, there's lot's of pool paint sold in this country. :lol:

Hi all, duraleigh and derwood, related to this topic, I noticed you have a "concrete pool with a vinyl liner." I have a gunite pool with the same issues and I was thinking of how to solve the problem. Paint seems too temporary, but what about the vinyl liner? How would that work out? Anyone know if that would be a longer term option? Cheaper than replaster or more expensive in the long term/short term?

15x30 IGP Gunite - circa 1970's - one skimmer on the same side as the two "working" returns. Dead main drain.
old sand filter SS "swimquip" - just ordered a newer 24" Hayward filter
1hp hayward pump

diniba69 said:
Hi all, duraleigh and derwood, related to this topic, I noticed you have a "concrete pool with a vinyl liner." I have a gunite pool with the same issues and I was thinking of how to solve the problem. Paint seems too temporary, but what about the vinyl liner? How would that work out? Anyone know if that would be a longer term option? Cheaper than replaster or more expensive in the long term/short term?

Pricewise, that would probably work out to be more than re-plaster. You would want to repair any current plaster damage, install a special track for the new liner, and then order a custom liner to fit your pool. Depending on many, many factors that would be in the 2-5k range, I would guess.

First, I am NO expert, and my paint has been in my pool for a grand total of 4 weeks now, so take this all with a grain of salt :) I used Olympic Gunzite primer and Zeron topcoat. My pool is very small and it was very easy to apply. You would have the exact opposite problem I had. We had cool temps and an unpredicted rain storm. I had to put up a temporary shelter over the pool while I was painting. It took quite a while to set up. Once it did though, it is hard as a rock and a very nice finish in the pool. It cost me about $400-$500 to paint the pool. The only plaster contractor that would touch my job was over $5,000. Since I built the pool myself, I am not concerned about painting it from time to time. It is rated for 8 years and if I get 4, I'll be a happy camper. Actually I am seeing some flaws that I would like to redo, so I may be recoating this winter. In your case, I can only see a problem with painting in the heat and having it set up too quickly. If you were to set up lights, you could pull an all-nighter and it would probably be an easy job..... just a thought..... and it's easy for me because I won't be the one staying up all night :sleep:

So, from my limited experience, I am very pleased with the results. Here is a little bit about my project: http://www.troublefreepool.com/diy-pool-sheesh-what-fun-t14072.html

Hope this helps :cheers: ,
Greg

derwood said:
I recently purchased a foreclosed house with an IG plaster pool in the backyard (I am sure all of you know where this is going).

The pool was a green swamp and even after pressure/acid washing there are stains covering the majority of the surface. Needless to say, even with sparkling water the pool looks terrible. I am aware that replastering is probably the best resolution but it isn't in the budget.

This brings us to my question, what is the best low cost paint to use? Yes, an oxymorn in the best sense of the word but just humor me. I would love to go the epoxy route but that isn't exactly low cost either.

So far, I have found a Chlorinated-Alkyd paint that claims 7-10 years of maintanance free durability and it would cost around $350-$400 to do the entire pool.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of paint? I am sceptical of it lasting a full 7 years but 4-5 would still leave me happy. What type of maintanance would be required before repainting it once it does wear out?

Lastly, I live in Phoenix and the temps have been hitting 100 during the day (60's at night) but the max recommended temp to apply is 85. Is that to prevent damage to the plaster or the paint? I really don't want to wait till October/November when it cools off to have a nice clean looking pool.

Any thoughts, suggestions, rants etc are welcome!

Thanks

I was thinking just like you do when I considerd epoxy paint for our pool. Real solvent free epoxy like rustoleums product is so expensive that it's almost ridicules. The quote for my pool was 3800USD just for the paint!!!
I know a pool painted with that coating a few summers ago and it's already dull in the waterline. I know several people from the swedis poolfourum who have used a much cheaper poolpaint and it holds up pretty well for a handful of seasons what it seems. Even if the more expensive epoxy would last a little longer I can't see how someone can motivate it's price!

There was the rant Derwood :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Successful painting of a pool is not for the faint of heart, as the key to pool painting is surface preparation. You must create a bondable surface for whichever paint you use (water-based, synthetic chlorinated rubber-based, rubber based, or epoxy). I list them in ascending order of cost, and descending order of expected life.

No matter what brand you purchase, I'd recommend checking out the technical application instructions at these two websites. http://www.kelleytech.com/olympic/default.asp AND http://www.ramucpoolpaint.com/[url]...face. Personally, I'm a fan of replastering!

I've never seen a painted pool last two years, no matter how good the prep. There's a reason they aren't painted from the beginning!

I'd recommend that you save your money up for plaster (or another finish) and live with what you have for now. You will not be happy with the paint.

And, yes, it is very important not to drain your pool in the Arizona heat! Just like painting it, don't do it!

Bruce

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.