New to TFP, When to SLAM

CBWalk

Jul 18, 2016
Springfield, IL
I decided to switch to TFP methods and quit relying on my local pool store for chemicals and water testing. I purchased a Taylor K-2006 testing kit. When I do the FC test the water doesn't change to pink at all when I add 2 scoops at the 25 ml mark. I just put 4 1-inch pucks in my chlorinator this morning not knowing I was going to switch to TFP. I'm wondering if I can still do the SLAM process or if I should just wait until the end of the week after the pucks have been dissolved? I have not tested the chlorine since I put the pucks in. Seeing that my FC is so low, I want to shock the pool and trying to figure out the best way to go about that right now. Thanks!

FC - 0
pH - 7.3
TA - 100
CH - 150
CYA - 50

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: A few things to watch for:
- Remove the pucks now. You can let them dry and save them, but you don't need anymore CYA right now.
- For FC, use regular bleach - generic is fine. Make sure to NOT use splashless or scented.
- pH is in a good place to start the SLAM.
- For FC testing, use a 10 ML water sample and just one heaping scoop of powder. Count drops until pink to clear then divide by 2. ie. 14 drops = FC of 7.

I'm guessing you are SLAMing because you see algae or have cloudiness, so make sure to read the SLAM page carefully and follow all the steps each day. The key is to maintain that FC level based on your CYA. In your case, with a CYA of 50, your FC should be "20". Let us know if you have anymore questions. Nice to have you with us.

I will remove the pucks and I've been using regular 8.25% Ultra to shock the pool. I'm a bit confused on testing the chlorine when the water isn't turning pink after I put in the scoops. I'm assuming that means I have no FC and need to add some into the pool. I'll retest the chlorine using the 10 ML method. If the water doesn't change to pink after I stir in the scoop of powder, that means I have 0 FC and don't need to bother adding the drops to change it from pink to clear again right?

My pool water is clear and I have no problem seeing the bottom at 9 feet deep at all. I was just wanting to SLAM the pool so I have the correct chlorine levels if I decide to have some friends over and swim this week since its going to be 100 out! I also did a OTO chlorine test and that test showed my chlorine level was at 1.

- - - Updated - - -

My plan was to SLAM the pool even though its clear to get my FC up to 20 so it kills everything off. Then, I can start treating the water weekly with bleach and any other chemical adjustments I may need. Am I on the right track here or do I not need to SLAM the pool since it's already clear?

If the water doesn't change to pink after I stir in the scoop of powder, that means I have 0 FC and don't need to bother adding the drops to change it from pink to clear again right?
Correct.

I also did a OTO chlorine test and that test showed my chlorine level was at 1.
That's simply too low. I'd increase that to at least 6 ppm for now. With a CYA of 50, never let the FC go below 4. 5-7 is your ideal range. If you have no signs of algae, there's need to "SLAM" just because guests are coming over. If you're concerned about algae though, performing an overnight (OCLT) test is your next step to make sure a SLAM is warranted.

I used Pool Math last night to get the amount of bleach to put in the pool to bring the FC up to 6ppm. I added chlorine 3 different times and checked it every 45 minutes. At 11pm last night i had it up to 7 but when I woke up and checked it this morning it was back down to 1.5. The pool is clear but I did notice some algae on my steps. I've been brushing it a few times a day. I am wondering if I should SLAM the pool or just keep adding chlorine until the OCLT only loses 1ppm? Here are some pics of the pool
d9643cc5bb8b4f762b871a251e2aee7b.jpg

4ef62a9f1d1a7fcd502ac532d0218c66.jpg

You can swim during a SLAM as long as you do not exceed your required FC SLAM/shock level. Your last CYA was 50, so your SLAM FC level is "20". That's what you need to maintain 24-7 until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria (link below). Good luck!

I woke up and checked the FC and it went down to 8.5 overnight from 20, but we got a little over an inch of rain last night. I read the detailed testing instructions under Pool School but I was hoping to get some clarification. When the test sample starts to turn clear and lose the solid pink color after adding R-0871, about how many drops does it take to get completely clear? The dull pink color is hard for me to see and I'm having a hard time telling what actually is "clear" to determine the last few drops. I may be trying to be too precise with this or my red colorblindness isn't doing me any favors. Any suggestions for getting a better handle on these last few drops to determine FC?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I went home and checked my water and the FC dropped to 15 since 630am but it's been cloudy and rainy all morning.

For those familiar with the Taylor K-2006 testing kit, I'm concerned that I could run out of R-0871 while Slamming my pool. I'm testing the water 4x a day and trying to maintain a FC level of 20. Each test I'm using 30+ drops and concerned I may run out before the SLAM is complete. Should I be concerned about running out or should I have plenty for completing the SLAM?

I find that I was still testing a lot even after my slam -- it's a new-to-me pool, and I'm learning it's ways. If the budget allows, I would go ahead and reorder some agents so that you don't have to worry about running out (and perhaps will be more inclined to test often).

It's about 3 weeks post slam for me, and I'm finally feeling like I can test in the evening only and not worry about FC loss going below my minimum. I definitely do not want to go thru a slam again anytime soon!

Kiv - how many bottles of bleach did you go through on your slam? I have so many empty bleach bottles if anyone saw my deck right now, they'd think I was covering up a crime scene or am making a meth lab. I've gone through about 15 jugs so far the past 2-3 days and need to make my 3rd bleach run and I've been using 121oz jugs. I ought to have plenty of leftover jugs to try jug fishing sometime soon haha.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.