Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: sand cove

1. Back To Top    #1

sand cove

Any difference between mason and play sand?- Lowes has both. When Googled there's no clear answer...
    22K gal IG Vinyl 18'x36' rectangle (Hydra Pool Kit, Homebuilt DIY Spring09) 8' deep end
    Aqua Genie (No Main Drain, No Separate Returns), Hayward 1.5hp Pump, 24" sand filter & 2" Pipes, Jandy WaterColors LED Light, Flyte DeckII/FibreDive Board

:sun: Added for 2010~ SWG CompuPool CPSC36, "The Pool Cleaner 2x" suction cleaner, PICS of our DIY build, and our DIY Lime Green SLIDE refinishing project!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: sand cove

Quite a bit of difference. Mason's sand is supposed to be screeded (sp?) to remove items such as rocks, etc. Play sand isn't. There's no telling what you'll find in play sand.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

3. Back To Top    #3

You want to use mason sand on pool installations opposed to play sand. Play sand does not pack as well and is not as fine as mason or brick sand.

4. Back To Top    #4

Masons sand is also a bit more "polished", the grains are smaller, smoother and rounder than play sand which is larger and "sharper".

Kind of like the difference between regular sugar and powdered sugar. (Not quite exactly but just as a reference).

Also, Depending on how much you intend to use, a concrete supply place will usually be cheaper. Just tell them you need masons sand and give them length x width x 2" high (or whatever your requirements are).

I just ordered 4 tons (some places sell in yards - I think 4 tons is appx 3 yards). The total was $161.00 and that includes a $65.00 delivery charge (I'm about 20 miles away from the stone place I prefer to use) and that also included 6% tax so the sand itself is pretty cheap.

It's something like $23.00 per yard. For a pool base, the amount is usually waaay too much / too heavy to get into a normal pickup truck. I don't even bother to get smaller amounts in my 1 ton dually. It's easier to get it dropped off and I don't have to hose out the truck afterwards.

Cheaper and easier than 50 or 60lb bags from Lowes in most cases. (But I think that may also depend on your place of residence). We have quite a number of quarries , stone places etc in PA so I'm guessing that effects price.
    33'x15' x 52" Aqualeader
    Gallons ? - (I use appx 13,500 to calculate "stuff")
    33 x 15 x 4.3 x 5.9 = 12,558. or . . The Pool Calculator = 14,400
    Hayward S-166T 100Lb Sand Filter - Hayward Power-Flo LX 1HP Pump
    Intex S.W.G.