New Pool Owner looking for heater advice

Oct 29, 2015
Houston
Hello all,

I've had my small pool for 2 months now and love it. I know it's the middle of summer now but I wanted to get a head start on the fall and winter months coming up. I didn't have a heater installed when the pool was built because I didn't think I'd be using the pool as much as I have been and I don't see that changing any time soon. After doing a little research in the forum and outside the forum, I believe that my best bet considering where I am would be to go for an electric heat pump instead of a gas heater. First off, does anyone living in a similar climate have any opinions on this? It just seemed to me that the heat pump is going to be way more cost effective in the long run as I'd want my pool temp regulated all the time instead of firing it up every weekend for a pool party. Any recommendations on brands/models/BTUs? It seems I don't need a super powerful unit to heat such a small pool but would it better to just go big so it doesn't take as much to heat it up?

Thanks in advance.

It takes the same amount of electricity to heat a pool no matter the size of the heat pump. What you save is time. But, if you are going to keep it heated it really doesn't matter.

First, you should use an 8 mil solar cover, it will maintain a surprising amount of heat overnight. And reduce your heating cost by half or more.

Hayward and Raypak both make small heat pumps in the 50k btu neighborhood, which would work fine for you. Solar would be a good option for you if you have a sunny south facing roof.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.