White Residue and slimy water

Jun 12, 2014
Annandale, NJ
Hi, I have an inground salt water pool. Had algae and shocked pool, went away on vacation and now a white residue on bottom of pool when brushed looks like a cloud. I assume this is the dead algae? I can't get rid of it. When I vacuum, pull vacuum out of pool and see a cloud so it's going right back into pool.

That is my first problem. Second, pressure is high on Hayward filter, constantly 20, where in past would be 10. After backwash right up to 20 again.

I looked over some forums and thinking I should clean the grids in the filter but should I take care of the white algae first?

Here are my readings:
FC: 3.2
CC: 0
PH: 7.6/7.8
TA: 80
CH: 190
CYA: 80

Water is clear.

Thanks for any help.

Oh so its coming out of the vacuum itself? Maybe the filter system in there is clogged.. Not really up to speed on robots.. maybe its gathering the contaminants but not letting them into the pool filter.. have you tried swimming with it to see if its working correctly underwater?

That is my first problem. Second, pressure is high on Hayward filter, constantly 20, where in past would be 10. After backwash right up to 20 again.
Your problems are the same. Your hayward filter is doing what it is supposed to do.....filtering debris out of your water. You must keep continue to backwash over and over until all the debris is removed. Same for the robot. It is trying to remove debris from your pool and is simply getting so full some of that debris overflows when you lift it from the water......they all do that.

You must continue to brush, run the robot and run your Hayward filter 24/7 until your pool clears.

Your problems are the same. Your hayward filter is doing what it is supposed to do.....filtering debris out of your water. You must keep continue to backwash over and over until all the debris is removed. Same for the robot. It is trying to remove debris from your pool and is simply getting so full some of that debris overflows when you lift it from the water......they all do that.

You must continue to brush, run the robot and run your Hayward filter 24/7 until your pool clears.

Thank you duraleigh.

I will continue to brush and backwash (approximately how many times a day?). I will turn the filter on 24/7 tonight.

So there isn't a need to take the filter apart to clean the grids? Is there any need to add chlorox/bleach do you think?

Thanks so much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.