Ecotech EZ motor failure

Mar 4, 2015
Laguna Hills
I have a 2-year old Ecotech variable speed pool pump motor that just failed. The run/start button flashes green continuously and the other buttons and the display do not work. I tried a factory reset and power cycling, but that did nothing. The shaft turns freely when disconnected from the pump, so I am thinking it is an electronics issue. Does anyone have experience in repairing these units? Already tried Nidec (formerly Emerson) and the place where I bought the pump, but both were unhelpful.

Did you install a power surge protector when you installed the motor? If not, you may have a bad drive on your hands and unfortunately, they are not easily repaired unless you are an electronics wiz.

The number 1 reason VS drives fail is because there is a lack of surge protection. They are extremely sensitive to power surges. Home electronics survival means nothing.

I have a 2-year old Ecotech variable speed pool pump motor that just failed. The run/start button flashes green continuously and the other buttons and the display do not work. I tried a factory reset and power cycling, but that did nothing. The shaft turns freely when disconnected from the pump, so I am thinking it is an electronics issue. Does anyone have experience in repairing these units? Already tried Nidec (formerly Emerson) and the place where I bought the pump, but both were unhelpful.

Have you found a solution? I have same issue

The number 1 reason VS drives fail is because there is a lack of surge protection. They are extremely sensitive to power surges. Home electronics survival means nothing.
I just install this. From my research this is the best for the buck. Hope this helps

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any help?

Spoke to leslies whom i purchased pump from and i have just been getting run around. They do not sell ecotech pumps anymore looks like. Called ecotech, still waiting for a call back. One of the techs told me it could be the button pad. He was to check on a goodwill replacement but have not heard from him and can't find anywhere to purchase said part. So frustrating

Mine is a similar issue, and very strange. My unit has power. But the normal Mon - Fri and Sat - Sun settings, both 1 and 2, are not turning on. I cannot even manual start those settings. But, I can turn on the system and make the custom setting run and the vacuum setting run. I've confirmed the times are current as well. I've turned off the power and it still does not work. We did have a surge a week ago or so, but again, it still works, just not 100%.

Our 2-year old Ecotech EZ motor failed four weeks ago and flashed a "call for service" message. While troubleshooting the pool motor online, we learned that the unit had been recalled. Beware the 800 number customer service for the recall-- I called 8 times over four weeks and escalated to the supervisor twice, who refused to take or return my call. Every time I called, the manufacturer re-confirmed my phone number yet they gave an incomplete number to the repairman who spent a week trying to call me. And the repairman turned out to be subcontractor electrician who didn't even know how to turn the motor on. We have joined the class-action lawsuit against the manufacturer and if--if--I can get the motor repaired I'll install a surge protector. Has anyone had luck getting a unit repaired?

This is the exact same thing we are dealing with. It's as if the EZ motor had a timer to fail at 2 years. We have been without a functioning pool motor for over 2 months. We did join the class-action lawsuit and feel like Ecotech is going to do nothing. Has anyone gotten any kind of resolution from them?

This is the exact same thing we are dealing with. It's as if the EZ motor had a timer to fail at 2 years. We have been without a functioning pool motor for over 2 months. We did join the class-action lawsuit and feel like Ecotech is going to do nothing. Has anyone gotten any kind of resolution from them?

None whatsoever. Ours hasn't run since August. I'm having it ripped out this week and replaced with a constant speed unit. My pool guy stopped using these two years ago due to quality issues. We did get a call from a Claims Administrator at Nidec after I escalated to Nidec's Director of Engineering. Initially, it appeared she wanted to help but then disappeared as soon as we had the results from a service call. It appears her involvement was nothing but a stall tactic. Nidec, US Motors, Emerson and their related brands have zero interest in customer safety or satisfaction.

None whatsoever. Ours hasn't run since August. I'm having it ripped out this week and replaced with a constant speed unit. My pool guy stopped using these two years ago due to quality issues. We did get a call from a Claims Administrator at Nidec after I escalated to Nidec's Director of Engineering. Initially, it appeared she wanted to help but then disappeared as soon as we had the results from a service call. It appears her involvement was nothing but a stall tactic. Nidec, US Motors, Emerson and their related brands have zero interest in customer safety or satisfaction.

To all having problems w this motor:

First, I can empathize w you and sorry you are going through this. Also, how much does this pump cost?

Next, find out the corporate phone number and call the president/CEO of the company and keep calling them till they give you an answer. Call multiple CXX's until they answer..make it a priority to call every time you have a chance.

Finally, what does the written warranty say about this product? How long is the warranty, both if installed by pool comp or yourself? You need to determine your path of least resistance and what do you want from your resolution.

Lastly, if you get absolutely nowhere, there is peace of mind in taking the loss and moving on to a product that you know will work for you. now you know what to look for and to avoid...let us know how you all do and wish you the best of luck, tstex

Was anyone able to resolve this issue? 2nd time with same pump. Both went bad within 2years. Might just go back to a single speed motor. I know thread is old but pls share fix if you were able to get it back running

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.