Is this normal pb behavior???

Jul 13, 2016
Frisco tx
So maybe this is why you don't see many fiberglass pools. I've been talking with gunit pool builders and one fiberglass pool builder.

Of course, with the gunit pb they came to the house, talked about what we wanted and needed, took a copy of our survey in order to put together a 3D proposal and then provide the pricing based on that proposal.

With the fiberglass guy, he very hurriedly gave me prices for certain fiberglass models over the phone. I emailed him asking what the next steps were so I could get an idea of how it would look in my yard, and what the additional cost of decking and a retaining wall (which I need) would be. His response was that before he would come out to the house or discuss that I would need to secure financing and provide a 10% down payment. How am I supposed to obtain financing or provide 10% when I don't even know the final cost. He said AFTER I pay this deposit then he will come to the home and we can discuss the details...Does this seem normal? I feel like I should run for the hills, but they are the only company around that has the fiberglass model I like. And they have great reviews online. Am I being unreasonable that I would want to see at least a mock up first?

Even though I like the idea of fiberglass more than gunit I might be forced to go the gunit route because I'm not about to pay for something that I haven't even seen yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We picked our pool at a showroom. When we saw it, we knew that's what we wanted. We decided on decking/coping issues at the sale and it was done. I did all of our landscaping. But I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable putting money down without knowing what product I wanted. I'm not comfortable with that one.

That was the other thing, we drove an hour away to visit their location, which was really just a lot with pool shells in stacks laid upside down. So not only could we not get a feel for what they looked like at all, there wasn't a showroom or anyone there to talk to us. So we just walked around the lot for a minute to at least get an idea of the length of the one we wanted but it wasn't even out there. So that kind of set us off on the wrong foot as well. My husband was not happy driving over 2 hours there and back to walk around a storage yard. [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't blame you at all. I wouldn't be comfortable with that either. In our area, there are a few FB dealers that have shells propped-up along the side of the road (tiny little sales shack), then some who have a nice showroom with some shells nicely displayed outside. Not all of them due to lack of space, but at least a couple with lots of photos and examples to chose from. Investing in your pool should be a good experience. The $$$ part is already stressful enough as it is. First impressions is everything, and when they don't care about how they show their products, or seemed more focused on the money up-front as opposed to addressing your concerns, it makes you question how they will handle the installation as well once they get paid. Go with you gut.

Demand for pools in Texas is strong right now. So all these guys with some construction experience go buy a few pool shells and start advertising themselves as pool builders. There are enough customers now that they get some of the business. They are expecting the manufacturers web site to do all the selling for them. When sales get cold most will declare bankruptcy and move on.

You never want to sign a contract with a pool builder (or for any major construction work) without the contractor inspecting the site before the contract is written. Otherwise I assure you unexpected events of conditions will fall on you. With fiberglass usually the access problem falls on the homeowner. You want to reverse that if you can. That's because the risk of differing site conditions falls on the owner in the US. But like with rock, you can reverse or limit that risk. But the builder must inspect first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.