Help, please

Janel

Apr 18, 2016
Carriere, Ms
Hi everyone! My pool has been up since mid June and it has been wonderful! No water problems at all, until now! And it's a mess, I have algae bloom on the bottom and now on the sides, I did a testing this morning and this is what I have FC 15, CC 1, pH 7.2, Alk 80, Cal Hardness 0, CYA well over 100. I have no idea what to, and what to do first! Correct the Algae problem? which lord knows my FC levels are so high, correct the pH first? I'm afraid it's completely out of control! Can someone please, please help!! Thank you in advance!

Not one of the experts, but you need to SLAM your pool. The issue is your CYA is too high. Your CYA could be over 100 that is as high as the test goes. You would need to drain off half of your pool and refill to get the CYA down and then SLAM the pool.

In order to really maintain the pool, you need to complete a partial drain and refill to reduce CYA. Once algae is established and growing, FC of 15 won't kill it as fast as it will multiply. I would suggest 50-60% water replacement then retest your CYA. Hopefully that will get it down to 40 or 50 ppm and you will have much better luck managing your pool.

Any idea how your new pool's CYA got so high so fast??

Pool tool, my husband didn't want to use TFP methods and shocked with over the counter shock with stabilizer in it, attempting to try to get rid of the algae, and he also put chlorine tablets with stabilizer as well! Now he's looking at me to try and fix it. So now I'm going to try it my way the TFP way! Should I brush off the algae before draining? Refill then test CYA, should I Slam it then? Still concerned about the algae also? And if I do need to slam, how many gallons of bleach should I have on hand? I'm sorry so many questions, all new to me!

Now he's looking at me to try and fix it.
:hammer: Okay then, once this is all over it sounds like your husband may owe you a nice dinner out. :) While you are draining some water, sure, you can scrub and sweep some to try and remove some algae dust and debris, but once re-filled you'll still need to SLAM. It will just work better. The amount of bleach required varies, but I'd have about 10 bottles ready just to start.

Remember, since your CYA was well over 100, it may be sky-high closer to 200. You can try the dilution method as follows if you would like:
Add pool water to bottom of sticker.
Add tap water to top of sticker.
Shake.
Pour out half so mixture is to bottom of sticker.
Add reagent to top of sticker.
Shake.
Test outside with back to sun and tube at waist level.
Pour back and forth a few times to see if you get the same result.
Double the result.
From there, try to get that CYA around the 50 mark or so. At least from 50 you can still SLAM and once done your CYA will be in a good place for the summer heat. Before increasing the FC for the SLAM, don't forget to lower pH to about 7.2. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Brush the sides and floor of the pool and vacuum to waste. Mix a cup of pool water with a cup of tap water and test the CYA again. Read the result and double it to get a ballpark CYA reading. Use PoolMath to determine how much water to drain and refill. Test the CYA again after the pool is filled. Once the pool is refilled and the CYA is around 20-30ppm begin the SLAM Process process.

Read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry for information about basic pool chemistry. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. We're here to help!

Definitely read pool school. We want to help you but you must first help yourself. There you will find a SLAM article. Make sure you retest the CYA before you move forward with the SLAM.

P.S. Fire that pool boy!!!

Hi Guys, drained about 60% of my water and refilled my new numbers are FC 5.4, CC 0.2, pH 7.4, TA 100, CYA high at 80. I've read pool school and SLAM info I know to adjust the pH with 8oz of Borax, before I start Slam, which I calculated 2.63 gal of 8.25 bleach to get my FC to 31. But, what about the CYA still being at 80?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you're about to "SLAM", then you're correct that with your CYA of 80 you need to reach an FC of "31" and keep it there. Your pH is 7.4, so you don't want to add borax or you'll make it go higher. You want to use muriatic acid to lower it to about 7.2 BEFORE raising the FC. Adjust pH first, the crank that FC up to 31.

You can do a SLAM with a CYA of 80 - sure. Just takes a higher FC level, but you can do it. When you look at the SLAM page, you'll see that you are required to "lower" pH to about 7.2 before starting. That's because once you elevate the FC for the SLAM, you won't test pH anymore because the high FC gives-off a false pH reading. So yes, adjujst pH to 7.2 before increasing the FC to 31, then you're ready. Good luck!

Keep that FC no lower than 31ppm. And goooooooooooo!

I added the amount of bleach per the calculator and Just checked FC is now 40, I don't understand, did I do something wrong?

Nope! Higher is just fine! Just keep testing every 2-3 hours and do NOT let the FC fall below 31 PPM! The SALM process can take awhile, so open a can of POP (Pool Owner Patience) and keep on SLAMMin' until you can pass the OCLT. Good Luck!

Your gallonage is probably less than you calculated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.