pre-filter or cartridge cover for dog hair

Jun 26, 2016
Florida
Hey All,

First. Thanks!

I have been researching and learning from the forum for the last couple months (sorry for not saying hi earlier) and I have really learned a ton about managing my pool. For example, I bought the Solaxx PH Tek based on feedback here to help keep the PH in check because the new cement and plaster is/was requiring acid at a ridiculous rate. I have a life other than adding acid twice a day. Anyway, thanks for that.

One thing I can't find is good info on keeping dog hair from clogging up the filter cartridge. It takes a LONG time to rinse the cartridge of dog hair even a good direct hose sprayer. My dog loves to swim, and even when not swimming the hair on the pool deck usually finds its way to the pool bottom before I can sweep it. Of course, I have the skimmer hair net and try to vacuum after the dog swims. Much of the hair still falls to the main drain skipping the skimmer sock. I looked at adding a hair/lint filter before the cartridge but the cost is prohibitive. I also looked at maybe adding super lightweight foam/sponge material to the pump basket, but I am A) scared to mess with the pump basket in this fashion and B) not able to find a good solution that is fine enough to trap hair but will not add a bunch of material to the pump basket reducing its usefulness. I also looked into foam cartridge covers like the one you would see on an air filter, but reading up on the materials I expect it would break down quickly with the chlorine eating at it all the time.

What I did find is that some folks here like 3dogowner (how do I tag someone?) mentioned using a nylon stocking over the cartridge filter, but didn't see any feedback about how that is working out for them. How is it working out for those that tried?

If you have a great solution for this please let me know.

Hairnets are good! I think another forum member uses skimmer socks for when her grand dog visits because the are a finer mesh and let less dog hair through. But, they are more expensive and you might not want to use them daily.

MasCerveza

I wonder if you could use a hair net on the filter just before the pump, mine filters both the main drains and the skimmer, mine always stays cleaner than the skimmer filter. I too have a hair problem from my long haired GSD, she loves to swim with my wife and the grandkids, I am going to watch this thread to see if the hair nets or something equivalent could be a solution.

Keith

As someone who has burned through 4 pumps due to pine needles, I can give you the thing that will be the best thing you've ever learned! :D I use knee high pantyhose in the pump basket! It has saved me from burning up pumps for good! I just throw it away and put another in about once a week! And believe me...it is almost full in that amount of time so I can relate to your issue! Just slit places for the handle to go through and you are good to go! I use skimmer socks in the skimmer but they are a little expensive to use in the pump basket and throw away weekly. Give it a shot! :wave:

OK great. Glad to hear someone else is manipulating the pump basket as I was worried that would be an issue. I have a pentair pump with a basket like this:
812VTWmkLKL._SL1500_.jpg

I need to figure a way to put the hair net or pantyhose inside the basket and under that hole in the side of the basket. Otherwise it will block that hole and this is where the water enters. There is no lip on the inside to hook the hairnet under and around so I may need to create one with some PVC. Ill order a junk quality basket online and play with it and report back.

Last edited:
Would you consider turning off the suction to your main drain and letting your vacuum get the debris on the bottom? Many don't even have main drains. Then all of the debris will go to your vac or to your skimmers. And if your skimmers are pulling with more suction, they will skim the water faster allowing less debris (fur) time to fall to the bottom. If you have a suction cleaner this would still be an issue though. A pressure side vac or robot would work.

OK great. Glad to hear someone else is manipulating the pump basket as I was worried that would be an issue. I have a pentair pump with a basket like this:
View attachment 52287

I need to figure a way to put the hair net or pantyhose inside the basket and under that hole in the side of the basket. Otherwise it will block that hole and this is where the water enters. There is no lip on the inside to hook the hairnet under and around so I may need to create one with some PVC. Ill order a junk quality basket online and play with it and report back.

Hmm..my pump basket doesn't look like that..it's closer to this...Tuesday, July 19, 2016.jpg

so that it sits below the intake pipe. Maybe you could find one like this that will fit your pump?? Poolcenter has a bunch of different ones and they aren't expensive at all... Pool Pump Baskets - Quality Replacement Baskets from PoolCenter.com

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Would you consider turning off the suction to your main drain and letting your vacuum get the debris on the bottom? Many don't even have main drains. Then all of the debris will go to your vac or to your skimmers. And if your skimmers are pulling with more suction, they will skim the water faster allowing less debris (fur) time to fall to the bottom. If you have a suction cleaner this would still be an issue though. A pressure side vac or robot would work.

I don't have a vac except the manual one. It does have a skim plate so I can vac to a hair net. In which case the manual time vacuuming probably won't save me time compared to extra filter cleaning time. I'll still try this next time the dog goes in to see how much hair falls or is caught by my skimmer.

Most of our dogs hair tends to float or that which does sink tends to clump versus going into the main drain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.