Triton Sand Filter - pump stopped working

Jul 18, 2016
Gainesville
Hi, I have a 21,000 Gal, Marcite/Granite Pool. I am a new pool owner and am still trying to become familiar with the ins and outs of pool care. We left on vacation for 2 weeks and had someone care for our pool, but on our return when I try to turn the pump on, it runs dry. I have refilled it with water and usually hitting the reset button works, but not this time. I also tried letting air out by the air release valve on our Triton Sand Pump and when water starts to run I close the valve and start it again. I did this three times, each time I let the air out, it took about 5 - 10 min. for water to start running through the valve. Could it be possible that I did not let all the air out and should have let it run through longer? Any help is appreciated. Have a great day!:D

Water level is high, about 1/2 inch under the top of the tile that goes around the pool. When I turn it on there is a tiny amount of water that runs out, but then the water stops flowing completely. Could there be a clog I can't see or something?

Last edited:
Tks for all your help. i did finally figure out the issue. The o-ring was off the strainer lid. I put it back on and let the air out quite a few more times and that was all it needed. Glad it was an easier fix than I thought. This is a wonderful site and I'm sure I will learn everything I need to know when it comes to maintaining my pool.

Thanks again,:D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.