Mustard Algae

seedlings

Jul 5, 2016
Saint Joseph, MO
After the pool went green and stayed there, I drained 90% and refilled, SLAMmed, then started TFP maintenance. Since coming off SLAM, I've kept CYA 40 and the lowest FC was 5.5 since SLAM. CC is 0 or 0.5 every time i test. I have been in the pool and brushing every evening. Brushing ladder steps and sides and underneath, and vacuuming the little holes in the ladder steps to make sure chlorinated water is circulating.

The bottom of my pool has a a section where some mole burrows have collapsed, and otherwise the bottom has some depressions here and there. These depressions and small wrinkles collect what I had thought was pollen - kind of granular looking yellow or green 'grains'. 25% of the pool is directly under a pecan tree. I vacuum those out to waste (or filter), then backflush for several minutes, and rinse. The next morning little pockets return. Two nights ago I put the ladybug in the pool instead of actually brushing. Yesterday morning the bottom of the pool was faint yellow/green along with the usual pockets of yellow-green 'pollen'. It looks like sand, but poofs away with a vacuum or brush.

Last night I dumped the last gallon of 12.5% I had, tested the water 2 hours later and ran out of drops at 21, with the sample still bright pink. I have more drops now, but didn't get to test this AM. I am picking up more 12.5% after work today.

How can I tell for sure this is mustard algae, and if the last SLAM seemed to get rid of it, how will I know it's really gone this time?

CHAD

That is absolutely correct.

Ok, this is good to know, and perhaps should be added to the Mustard Algae Solving Problems article.

To be more specific about knowing when the mustard algae is officially killed and gone - the TFP recommended practice is elevated FC of 22 (in my case) for 24 hours. Duraleigh, are you saying I should keep FC at 22 until there are no new algae pockets formed overnight, which could last more than 24h?

CHAD

I hate mustard algae too. Its resilient stuff. I know it runs a little contrary to TFP, but I'm now on a Polyquat 60 regiment, dosing the high end of the maintenance dose every 5 days. Summer is short here in the NE, and even though I followed the Mustard Algae steps (SLAM, MA Shock level 24 hours), I figure it got in there all on its own somehow. I'd really not like to revisit it again.

This morning, water is very clear, FC 24.5, CC 0.5. I didn't do overnight FC loss test because the water hadn't cleared up yet. I'll test overnight tonight fwiw. Good news is that, unlike yesterday morning with quarter sized pockets of algae throughout the entire bottom, this morning it was confined to the center of the pool in a baseball-sized area, with some spiraling tentacles. There were very few, very small patches on the rest of the bottom. Still poofs away green when swept. I can't wait for the day it's actually gone.

Instead of going to algacide, once clear, I plan on keeping FC between shock level and the high end of maintenance, so perhaps around 10 or 12 for the rest of summer.

***Also, would adding salt help at all to combat mustard algae, or not (non-swg pool)? I was about to add some salt for softer-feeling water, but switched gears to fighting algae.

CHAD

This morning, in the middle of the pool, was only particle debris, not algae that clouds up when swept. Backwashed the filter, even though pressure wasn't up very much, and the water was literally darker green than the grass it washed onto. After backwashing and rinsing, and set back on filter, I poured a gallon of 12.5% bleach down the skimmer in hopes to kind of shock the sand itself. I added chlorine last night after my last FC test, but didn't test it again for an OFCLT.

CHAD

I am still fighting this mustard algae. I have kept FC between 10 and 25 for 9 days now, including passing all tests, and 48 hours elevated above 25 - and the pool has been great. I have injected 12.5% chlorine into the ladder holes, and otherwise brushed and made sure water is circulating everywhere, every day, often twice. CYA 40.

So, yesterday morning the FC was 17.5 and the family and a few friends swam for several hours. I did not check or add chlorine last night. This morning FC was 7.5, and there are once again a few small 'strings' or 'pockets' of the same debris I figured was mustard algae. To repeat, this is the FIRST time FC has been this 'low' in 9 days.

I'm about to dig out that christmas-gift-flop microscope from 15 years ago and look at this stuff... maybe it's something else...

CHAD

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have what I believe is a MA issue also. I'm at MA shock level, covered with my solar cover and woke up to this on the bottom in a small indentation that runs a few feet. Is this what yours looks like? I was under the impression that....

A) you weren't supposed to stay at MA levels for more than 24 hours.
B) MA was supposed to 'disappear' once at regular shock levels so if you're above that, it shouldn't be showing up which obviously isn't the case for either of us.

I have wedding cake steps to get into my above ground pool. They have sand in them to help weigh them down so my thought is I have MA in there and the water doesn't circulate in where the sand is so I can't kill it. That's my thought any way.

Have you dumped all your toys/tools/floats in the pool when at MA shock levels? Run all your suits through the washing machine? Just spitballing here.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 28
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.