Vacations

May 26, 2009
Seminole, FL
What do people normally do when they leave for a week or so on vacation? Do you 'shock' the pool up to a certain point and hope for the best? I try to maintain my FC at 4-5ppm, it seems to drop maybe 1ppm per day (I do have pucks that I use to help maintain it as well, but I don't use many, just have it turned on low). So anyways, do people just add enough chlorine to get it up to 12 or more and when they get back it should be back around where it should be?

you can shock which will help, but it probably won't be where it "should be" because you lose more when you add more. JasonLion has talked about that recently but I don't remember enough about it to search for the post. if your cya is ok, you could add more pucks and dial it up higher. you could use a polyquat60 algaecide. you could add borates for the algaestatic effects per the sticky in the chemistry 201 forum.

For up to a week, it works to shock the pool and cover it with a solar cover, especially if you have your pump on a timer and there aren't any major storms. If you have a chlorinator (puck feeder) and your CYA level isn't too high you can use that instead of shocking and then you don't need the solar cover (though without the cover you are more at risk of the skimmers getting clogged).

For longer periods things get less predictable.

I do have an inline puck dispenser (For lack of a better word.. lol). But I am trying to limit the use of the pucks. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to just turn it up for a week if I am gone. Just trying to plan ahead.. don't have any vacation plans yet.. :)

I just came back from a 2-week vacation and I used this to keep the water level and I made a bleach delivery system dosing 32 oz/day from a peristaltic pump. I ran all of this for 3-weeks before going away with no problems. The pH was a little high though at just under 8.

Leaving for an Asia trip tomorrow for another 2-weeks so I set it all back up again.

If you are wondering I left the skimmers on low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.