Dual pool light GFCI tripping challenge

rogue

Jul 16, 2013
El Cajon, CA
I am having problems with my pool Pentair Amerlight 500 watt pool lights. There are two of them wired as shown in the attached diagrams. The first shows the original wiring with separate 15 AMP circuit breaker connected to the LINE lugs of a Leviton 20 AMP GFCI outlet and the pool light circuit connected to the LOAD lugs. In December the North pool light failed and the GFCI would trip when either dimmer switch was brought to full. After reading the forms I replaced the North light with a new gasket, replaced the dimmer switches, checked all wiring connections and tried new GFCI outlets and dedicated GFCI 15 AMP circuit breakers. While detail is shown in the attached, the end result is that both lights will function normally when individually brought to full light, but will normally go only to 50% together until the GFCI trips on the GFCI Circuit breaker. Repeated attempts allows both lights to be brought to full intensity together, but several hour later they may initially be brought only to 50% again until the GFCI trips. Would appreciate any advice on where my problem could be.

Have you tried removing the lights from the circuit and seeing if the same thing happens if you run both dimmers up at the same time?

Or disconnect one light or the other and run both dimmers at the same time?

Eliminate things one at a time and try to duplicate the condition.

You could bring them to 100% separately...

Hi,

I uploaded the circuit diagram showing the dedicated GFCI Ckt Brkr now in the circuit plus pictures of the JBox and Elec Panel. Looks like my max storage now is 250KB down from 1 MB or so when I last posted so I'll try to post the test data summary later

Anyway, the two new dimmers are Leviton LED/ Compact Fluorescent/Incandescent 6674P rated 150 W LED/CFL and 600 W Fluorescent. 120V/60Hz AC

At this point each dimmer switch operates its light normally when independently on. With the North light on full setting the GFCI trips when the South light is at about 20%. When the South light is on full the GFCI trips when the North light is brought up to about 50%.

Interestingly, if I leave the North light on either full or 50% for 15 minutes then bring it to full I can immediately bring the South light up rapidly to full without the GFCI tripping. At this point I can turn both lights on then bring both dimmers to 100% rapidly without tripping the GFCI. After the switches are off for 10 minutes however, the original behavior reasserts itself.

When I started this process the original wiring for the lights was to the load points of a GFCI outlet. I added a dedicated 15 AMP GFCI circuit breaker to the panel for the two lights. All wiring nuts were removed and replaced to verify connections. The pool lights were removed from the pool wall, checked for leaks. The pool wall light housing ground bonding wire and pool light cable were checked for damage with negative result. As mentioned the dimmer switches were replaced with the new Leviton dimmers.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Pool light wiring connections.pdf
    117.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Pool light wiring GFCI CB.pdf
    91.5 KB · Views: 9
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.