PLEASE HELP!!!! How do I tighten a new overlap liner once the pool has water in it?

Jul 17, 2016
Liberty, MO
We just put an above ground pool up. My husband installed the liner and would not worry about making sure it was perfect. Now the pool is almost full and there is a couple spots where the liner needs to be pulled tight. There are a couple wrinkles due to the fact that there is too much liner slagging down. Is it possible to pull the top rail and to tighten it? would the water help hold it in place or make a mess? I can take pics tomorrow if you would like to have a visual, it is too dark out now. I would appreciate any advice!!! PLEASE HELP!!!
imagejpeg
imagejpeg

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to TFP! If the wrinkles are in the floor you are not going to be able to pull them out when the pool is full. If you have already cut the liner for the skimmer and returns do not try to move it at all. A picture would be helpful, maybe someone will have some suggestions, but honestly you may have to make a choice between living with it as is or draining and resetting the liner.

Even wrinkles half way down a wall of a full pool can not be pulled out. You'll have to drain it to pull them out and as Zea mentioned, if you already cut the skimmer n return, it will need patched if you try to pull the wrinkles out.

Pics would be helpful.

I have heard stories of people using a toilet plunger. Stick the plunger to the wall above the wrinkle and the slide it up, to try and stretch the wrinkle out. However, unless you only have a few small wrinkles, nothing is really going to work.

The amount of pressure the water is putting on the liner is huge. Moving the liner is not really going to happen. And, as others have said, if you cut your skimmer and return holes, those are where they need to be, and cannot be relocated (without patching)

-dave

We just put an above ground pool up. My husband installed the liner and would not worry about making sure it was perfect. Now the pool is almost full and there is a couple spots where the liner needs to be pulled tight. There are a couple wrinkles due to the fact that there is too much liner slagging down. Is it possible to pull the top rail and to tighten it? would the water help hold it in place or make a mess? I can take pics tomorrow if you would like to have a visual, it is too dark out now. I would appreciate any advice!!! PLEASE HELP!!!
imagejpeg
imagejpeg

image1(1).jpg

OK - thats not THAT bad, especially if all of the wrinkles are above the waterline. You can TRY to take the top rail and brace off in that area and stretch the liner more, but you also risk blowing out the side of the pool there, once you remove that top brace. Mine has a few wrinkles like that as well (not quite as many, or as large, but still - not perfect) and I live with it, because I would rather have a pool with a few wrinkles than a 17,000 gallon wave pool in my backyard.

-dave

I took a picture of mine - usually it is easier to see, but the water level is quite high right now because we had some rain storms. To the right of the skimmer, there are wrinkles just like yours.

IMG_20160719_142642670_HDR_zpso5myvcge.jpg

IMG_20160719_142623227_zpsorpsqn3e.jpg

-dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your liner is twisted a bit. That's all. You can try and pull it out but it'll always have some forms of wrinkling there.

Your liner is twisted a bit. That's all. You can try and pull it out but it'll always have some forms of wrinkling there.

so you dont think that i would have to worry about the liner being pulled down by the water if i undo it? i would not undo too much at one time. i think it could be pulled tight and be ok. i was hoping the water would help hold the liner up while i straightened it out.??

You're never going to get all those wrinkles out. Just leave it. Wrinkles won't hurt anything but the eyes.

so you dont think that i would have to worry about the liner being pulled down by the water if i undo it? i would not undo too much at one time. i think it could be pulled tight and be ok. i was hoping the water would help hold the liner up while i straightened it out.??

No, the water will not pull the liner down. If you take too much of the top rail off, it may knock downt he pool wall, but it is not going to pull the liner down.

Really, I agree with Casey, those wrinkles are not bad. Get some more water in there, get some sun on them, and they will look even better. Me, I wouldn't mess with them.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.