Pump Seal Leak - driving me crazy

Hey everyone. Before I begin, I have to say that I've been trying to find a pool guy in Monmouth Junction NJ to call me back and it's like trying to find the holy grail. Moving on, out of necessity, I've taken it upon myself to try and fix my pump issue. I have a Hayward Super Pump (had, now I have a different make that's compatible) with a standard skimmer set up. I replaced the pump because it went. I bought a new filter seal kit as well because I was getting a leak from the point where the motor meets the skimmer. It's the standard 4 bolt set up. Strange thing happened yesterday where the impeller stopped moving on a the pump. I opened it up and saw the shaft seal was all corroded and broken. I replaced it and BAM! My leak was gone!! At least initially. After a few hours, the leak is back! What am I doing wrong here??

Hi, welcome to TFP! If you could post pictures of the problem that will help us troubleshoot it for you. Usually a pump seal will leak if installed incorrectly, or if it becomes damaged while the pump is operating. You need to be careful when installing the seal that you don't touch the ceramic surface.

Is the replacement motor the same horsepower and service factor as the original motor?

Thanks. I'll grab some pics tonight. In the meantime, I ordered new shaft (the one I used was from an older filter) and all o rings and accessories. I can safely say that when I installed the new one that broke, I definitely handled the ceramic with my hands.

- - - Updated - - -

I went from 1hp to 1.5hp on the motor

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.