Hayward super Pump fitting

tpm

Sep 6, 2008
NY
Hello
I have a Hayward Super Pump Model # SP2610X15. The outgoing connection which sits at the top of the pump had a leak, I took it off and re taped it and set it back in. Still leaking, I found it had a crack on the inside along the threads. I bought a new replacement compression fitting which says it replaces Hayward SP 1485DA and put Teflon tape on it and installed it. Now it still has a small leak but is better then before. I'm thinking it should have either a gasket at the top where it meets the pump body or an O ring at the bottom because it sits pretty flush with the housing. Is this possible?? or do I need to just snug it up a little more.

Thanks

tpm said:
Thanks John.
I assume the Teflon tape will come off then correct? I have never used pipe dope :(

Yes, take the Teflon tape off before usinf the pipe dope.

I used pipe dope on PVC for the first time last weekend. Worked like a charm! It wasn't called "pipe dope" at HD; was located near the PVC glue.

alben

Just where would you apply the silicon? at the top of the fitting, bottom, or on the threads? Would you use it with the teflon tape? Right now I don't think it is leaking so I won't disturb it. But if it does maybe the silicon can be an easy fix.
Thanks

I apply the silicone to the threads. As you screw the fittings in, the silicone redistributes itself and eventually you wind up with a bead at the top. I use silicone on almost all screw fittings. Silicon also works well for the pressure gauge on the Haward multiport valve. You don't have to turn the gauge in as far. (I once cracked a multiport valve by using Teflon tape with a gauge and overtightened). My experience has been that Teflon tape creates a seal by making the fittings "tighter", which adds extra outward stresses. Whereas silicone makes a seal by having a pliable substance in the pipe groves, without causing stress. Also silicone makes for easier disassembly in the future. So I now use Teflon only on metal to metal surfaces, and use silicone on plastic/composite surfaces.

As for unions, where things are meant to come apart, I apply a liberal amount of petroleum jelly (Vaseline) to the rubber seal areas and to the threads of the coupler. Makes for an easier disassembly in the future.

Very good information Alben. Sorry but one more question... Do I wait for the silicon to dry before starting the pump back up or just apply and start?

Thank you and if it should start leaking again that is what i will do

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.