backfilling an above ground pool

Jul 17, 2016
Milan,Il
#1 My new 24'x48" round above ground pool needed to be dug into a slight incline to be level. The deepest part is about a 1'4" deep and it slowly tapers to level. I have read so much about backfilling with dirt, to not use dirt, to use/not use rock, to tar the below grade part, to put down plastic, and everything else. Where do you stand on this issue?

#2 I read a little about running the pump. Should i not run my pump all of the time? Is there a time you want it running and time to have it off, daytime / evening)?

We buried ours about half way (28"). Not sure what the right way is but we used heavy gauge plastic against the pool with a French drain at the bottom covered with small crushed rock. Then we just used dirt being careful not to get rocks against the pool (plastic). That was in the installation instructions (use dirt that is). We have a 4 foot wide walkway around the pool we plan to cover with plastic, small gravel, then pavers. Time will tell if this worked. There are some pics in the install link in my signiture.

We have an swg so we run the pump 4 hours in the morning and four in the afternoon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.