Spa jets, what's the deal, what is a 'blower' anyways?

Jul 9, 2016
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
SO, we'll be putting in a spa soon (along with the pool)... what is the deal with the jets/ blowers/ well, just the spa in general? We obviously want it to have that bubbly frothy feeling... not, too much, but, ya know, like a spa at a hotel. I've seen these two videos on youtube...

THIS is not bueno... but THIS is... apparently according to the video information both of these spas have no blower so any thought on why they're so different? We certainly want something like the second link and the 1st would be very bad. I've heard rumors of a 'blower'... what is it and what does it do?

Our spa is 7x9 and will have 7 jets in it... I guess the layout is also something to think about as well eh?

Thanks!

More often than not, blowers are a crutch that pool builders use because they really don't know how to build a spa without one.

If you want to build a spa without a blower, like mine, then you just need to make sure the PB uses a large air pipe 2.5"+ without too many bends and you need a Hartford loop at the spa wall to prevent the air pipe from filling with water. If you do that, there is a good chance you won't need a blower. Blowers are very loud and use lots of energy so I wouldn't want one. How long will the air pipe be?

Curious if you ended up going with a blower or not? I'll have the choice soon too. Blower vs no blower

Spring 2017 new build in PA ! //// Pool on a big hill //// IG SWG 800 sqft +100 sqft sun shelf + 50 sqft spa. //// All Jandy Pro series equipment (help me choose which models !) //// SGM River Rok or Diamond Brite (help me choose!) //// Stamped Concrete, Pavers, or Stone (help me choose ! )

Why not design the spa well so that it can operate without a blower and then add one later if you decide you need it for any reason. If done correctly, I doubt you will want it.

Why not design the spa well so that it can operate without a blower and then add one later if you decide you need it for any reason. If done correctly, I doubt you will want it.

If I was confident my builder would build it correctly, I guess I wouldn't need one. He does have one in the plans currently though

Spring 2017 new build in PA ! //// Pool on a big hill //// IG SWG 800 sqft +100 sqft sun shelf + 50 sqft spa. //// All Jandy Pro series equipment (help me choose which models !) //// SGM River Rok or Diamond Brite (help me choose!) //// Stamped Concrete, Pavers, or Stone (help me choose ! )

Review his plans and make sure he has the key components I mentioned above. But I think the issue for you might be that the pool is on a hill. Does that mean the equipment is far lower in elevation than the pool? If so, then the Hartford loop is a must either way.

Review his plans and make sure he has the key components I mentioned above. But I think the issue for you might be that the pool is on a hill. Does that mean the equipment is far lower in elevation than the pool? If so, then the Hartford loop is a must either way.

Ok thanks. I don't think we have decided on a location for equipment yet but I've read it should be on the same elevation as the water to avoid excess strain on all equipment. Is that true to your knowledge? It would be easier for me to hide the equipment next to the house but that would be 4ft higher than the pool

The only real issue is when the equipment is much higher than the pool, it is very difficult to prime the pumps. 4' is a little high but manageable if you put a valve on the suction side of the pump to help with priming.

If the equipment is below water, the only issue is with the spa air pipe which will fill with water when the spa is off. A blower is then required to help push the water out of the pipe so that air can enter the venturis. However, if you put in a Hartford loop, it prevents the air pipe from filling with water so a blower is not normally required.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.