GFCI Switches Keep Blowing

Jun 17, 2015
Fenton, MO
I’m having a problem with my pool light. Every time the timer tries to turn on the light, the GFCI switch blows. I reset the GFCI switch, reset the timer and manually turned on the pool light and it would work again. It would go off at the appointed time but then not come on the next day as the switch was blown by then. A week or so later, the pump started doing the exact same thing and blew the switch - I did the same resetting steps for a few days and the issue continues. I am now bypassing the timers and re-starting GFCI each time to get the equipment to come on. It now goes off when it eventually trips the switch, sometimes a few times a day. The salt water chlorinator is now tripping it's GFCI switch as well. This switch is not on a timer at all, if that makes a difference. Any ideas on what is going on?

Are these GFCI breakers or outlets? Are they the same GFCI?

Anyway on the facts you provide I would get a good electrician look at it. Since this is less than a year old I old call the pool builder and have him send out the electrician who did the original work.

Yes are you talking about GFCI circuit breakers in your electrical panel? Either way in my opinion especially if you are having more than one problem with breakers or plugs tripping you have a grounding issue, short circuit, or the neutral is tied directly into the ground. Water and electricity are a DEADLY mix extra especially a swimming pool. You need a qualified / licensed electrician NOW. Do not swim in the pool until you get it repaired.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.