SWG FC Generation Level @100% / Super Chlorinating - "The Norm"

Hoster

Silver Supporter
May 27, 2016
Berkeley Heights, NJ
What is the "normal / typical" level of FC being generated by a salt cell (I have Hayward T-CELL-9) at 100% / Super Chlorinating. Although I have gone through SLAM twice, I continue to experience FC loss (even with CYA of 70-80).

While recognizing my test was not exactly accurate / scientific, I placed (with my thumb to cover) a sample tube and syringe in front of my return to capture the FC level (tube = 2.0, syringe = 2.5). All indicators are within range and my salt level is 3400 ppm. My cell is exactly three years old and being used 3-4 months a year.

Is this normal?

Thanks!

How many hours a day are you running your swg?

We recommend that your swg be 2 to 3 times the size of your pool. Your cell is a little small and you would need to increase the hours your pump runs. A larger cell can provide enough chlorine with much less pump run time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Oh..yeah...for got to mention. At least 10 hours...10AM to 8PM but I have run more (like 24 hours) in the past frequently. The previous owner indicated he ran 9 - 5 with no issues so I am wondering whether my cell is "bad." Also I doubt our pool is 25K as the previous owner claimed and closer to 20,000 - I have noticed this when I was adding salt and CYA (that the calculation based on 25K was a bit too much). May be I should consider buying a T-CELL-15 when this one goes....Thanks!

Thanks for your advice and i was afraid of going through SLAM again (which actually worked well in the past). But difficult to think that SWG "only" generates 2.5 FC at Super Chlorinating mode while Hayward indicates "if you want to shock the pool......"

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, no one ever really answered your question with numbers:

A T-9 running 24 hours at 100% will generate 0.7 pounds of chlorine gas.
In a 25k pool, that would be 3.4ppm of FC.

A normal clear pool loses 2-4ppm of FC every day. So, I would expect for you to have to run your SWG at 100% for close to 24 hours a day to maintain adequate FC.

FYI, the T-15 has double the output (1.4 pounds per day).

JBlizzle has it right.

I am calculating 21.5 hours required to run with a daily FC loss of 3 PPM @ 100% output. If you have a day with a PPM loss of 4 or more PPM, the SWG cannot generate enough Chlorine. At 4 PPM loss, 28.7 hours would be required.

If I were you, for now, I would do one of 2 things, both require daily addition of Bleach.

1. Run the pump 15 hours a day to replace 2 PPM each day and test daily and add bleach as required. Some days, it might not be needed.
or
2. Run the pump as little as needed, lets say 6 hours and test daily and add bleach each day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.