Another newbie here

Brad S

May 20, 2009
Hi all,

After luking awhile, i decided to post. I had my pool installed last August,and was completed labor day of 2008. We closed mid october so we only had it running for 6 weeks before we opened it April 20th this year.
On opening, it was crystal clear, and 45 degrees. Pool store guys who opened the pool put in some granular shock (not that anything would grow in 45 degree water!) some salt, and said run the pump for a few days and get the water tested. A week later, the water test showed I needed CYA, TA increase, and some CH. I bought some calcium and CYA at the pool store, and he told me to go buy some baking soda and add 10 pounds. The pool store where i go is owned by the guy who built my pool. Very good guy. The people in the store dont try to over sell, at least from what Ive seen, and seem to know what they are doing.

We have been open a little over a month, and all I've added since the open was less than 2 cups of muriatic acid. The pH does trend to creep up a bit with the SWG, but i knew that going in.

Numbers last night were:

FC 4
TC 4
CC 0
TA 70
CH 120
CYA 40
pH 7.6

Great site here, BTW!!

Yea, the pool store is great.

However, i did have to go to another store in another town a couple weeks back. They actually sold the Taylor 2006 test kit for not too much more than i could order it online for. When i went to check out, I got behind a women that had at least $200 worth of stuff on the counter. Not the least of which was 10 pounds of super duper TA up (aka baking soda) . Something with a "100" in the name. It was 35 bucks!

Anyway, when i bought my kit, they asked what pool service i worked for. I said i was an individual owner. The guy proceeded to tell me that the kit was for a pool professional and it was very expensive and was i sure i needed it. My answer was that i spent $32,000 for a pool. Why wouldnt i want to spend a few dollars on a test kit to keep the water clear and clean. he did'nt say anything!

Brad S said:
...they asked what pool service i worked for...The guy proceeded to tell me that the kit was for a pool professional and it was very expensive and was i sure i needed it...I spent $32,000 for a pool, why wouldn't i want to spend a few dollars on a test kit to keep the water clear and clean. he did'nt say anything!
There was nothing that he could have said 8) !

"test kit expensive..." How about messed up water with their over-priced and mostly useless chemicals?

Brad S said:
We have been open a little over a month, and all I've added since the open was less than 2 cups of muriatic acid. The pH does trend to creep up a bit with the SWG, but i knew that going in.

Numbers last night were:

CYA 40

Great site here, BTW!!
Bring your CYa up to 80 ppm, lower the output on your SWG to maintain your current FC level, and you should find that your pH will not rise as fast.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.