Balancing Pool after Acid Startup

IrwinK

Apr 25, 2016
Orlando, FL
PB did what I think was an Acid Startup after letting pool sit for 4 days after fill water.
I don't want to repeat all the awful details of the 2 hr startup as they on my build thread but here are a few:

After the startup my PH went from 7.5 to something way below 6.8 as PH test was below lowest mark and bright yellow. PB put in 2 gallons of 31% Muriatic Acid, 2 gallons of Chlorine and a 1 gallon pail of granules he said was Stabilizer but I had zero CYA. Per Pool Math PH could have got down to 3.5

PB told me to brush daily and left for a 2 week vacation. I asked if I should bring the PH up to 7.5 after a few days. He said it will rise to that after about a week.

After a week I still was reading below 6.8 PH and TA zero. CH 150.

So decided researched old threads and got some A&H Washing Soda. Per Pool Math (Effects of Adding Chemicals) last evening I added 2 boxes (110 oz.) which should have brought PH up to about 7.5 if it was just under 6.

Water turned cloudy last night but this morning it is clear.

PH 8.2
TA 40
FC 5
CYA 20
CH 150

My question is do I add acid to bring PH down to 7.5?
New Plaster will be increasing PH but I'm temporarily using Trichlor tablets and they are Acidic.

I added 12oz. of acid this afternoon and here are my latest test results this evening.
All are from the TF-100 Testkit except CYA is an estimate based on approx 10 pucks dissolved at 2.2 ppm CYA per puck.
I will do the CYA test tomorrow in the sunlight.

FC 6.5
CC .5
TC 7
PH 7.5
TA 60
CH 200
CYA 22

CSI -.27

PB back from vacation and made a surprise visit late yesterday afternoon. Pool is running 14 days now from start-up.

I told him about Zero CYA after he added a gallon of granules. He said it definitely was Cyanauric Acid that he added not Calcium or Sequestrant. So still a mystery where it went, but I'm thinking about it again and PB had cleaned the filter within a few minutes of adding the chemicals. Lots of what I thought was dirt and sand washed out so it could have been all the CYA since it was not pre-dissolved before he added it..

I have the CYA up to 30 now by temporarily using Trichlor pucks. Goal is 50 to 60 then will stop using them.

PH 7.5
FC 6.5
CC .5
TA 60
CH 200
CYA 30

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.