Questions and Help regarding Mustard Algae Slam

Aug 23, 2011
Hello, been using the TFP method since April of this year after I fired the pool guy. These forums have been a wealth of information and everything has been going by the book until recently.

In the end of June I noticed small yellow patches in the attached spa and a few in the shady areas of the pool. Fearing I had the dreaded mustard algae I did the mustard algae slam and everything went according to plan. Four days later by the beginning of July I could no longer see the yellow patches in the pool, but there were slight yellow streaks in the spa. These "streaks" would not brush off no matter how vigorously I worked at them, so I thought they were stains. My numbers were fine (4FC, 0CC, 7.8PH, 100TA, 70CYA) for 3 days so I thought I was fine. Set my SWCG at 60%-8 hours/day and went away for a 4 day vacation.

Came back to 0FC and yellow patches all over the pool and spa!

Started a Slam again on 7/12 - starting numbers: 0FC, 7.4PH, 100TA, 70cya. Turned on the filter for 24/7 and turned off the SWG, using the PoolCalc and a FAS/DPD tester I brought the FC level up to 39. First OCL was 18ppm.
7/15 - I brought the FC level up to 45, OCL was 17ppm.
7/16 - I brought the FC level up to 45, OCL was 8ppm.

First question, am I supposed to keep the FC level at Mustard Shock levels or let them fall to regular SLAM levels (and then do OCLT)??? Since I am still having OCL, there must still be algae present, right? Any advice at what my next course of action should be?

Some notes: Because of my job, I can only check the water/add chlorine at 6:00am (before I leave for work) and after 5:00pm (when I get home). Current Southern CA weather is mid 80s and no clouds - my pool is in the sun from 8:00am to 7:00pm. My water is super clear and has been throughout, but I have been brushing daily and vacuumed before slam.

So I should make sure I pass a OCLT at regular slam levels and then maintain Mustard Slam levels for 24 hours after passing a OCLT?

That is correct

jblizzle,

So by this logic, are you saying that it is possible to have Mustard Algae while actually passing the OCLT test? If that is the case I think I may possibly have Mustard Algae in my pool. My pool passes the OCLT and passes the 3 criteria for finishing a SLAM but I am still getting a lighting coating of dust/algae on the bottom and in the seams on the bottom of pool, nothing on the sides and no slimy feeling and the dirt poofs up into a cloud and goes away with a very light touch. Water is perfectly clear and all numbers are within range no cc's and normal daily fc loss, it just looks like dirt on the bottom almost every morning in the seams that won't filter out.

Thanks,
cruiser310

So on 7/20, my OCL was 1ppm, so I figured I was really close. Then this morning (7/21 - 0600hrs.) my OCL was 5ppm!!!!! 41ppm at 9:45pm. I did do something I don't normally do. I added my chlorine at 8:30pm, but then I brushed the pool. Normally I brush the pool around 5 or 6pm. Could brushing that late and an hour before my final FC test affect my OCL that much??

Cruiser310,
Yes, my first bout with the mustard algae I passed the OCLT but still had those slight yellow "stains". After the 4 day vacation the algae came right back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.