Hiram, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I am a new pool owner. I learned quickly that I needed to learn how to take care of it myself. I enjoyed it for about 3 weeks, then began taking samples to the pool store, each time leaving with a new chemical. I've added calcium, alkalinity, and muriatic acid. And, they advised me to turn my chlorinator up to 70%. Each time I add any kind of powder it leaves a gritty film on the bottom. It has to be swept and vacuumed a couple of times. Is that normal?

I was talking with my pool contractor and he sold me a Taylor K2005 kit. I tested 0 for CYA, PH over 8.0, Calcium 190 and alkalinity was slightly high. There is not reagents for salt water testing. I have some strips for salt testing and my pool gives me a reading. Should I get Taylor's salt testing kit also?

So, I added 4 lbs of cyanuric acid, muriatic acid, 2.5 lbs calcium and ran the filter for 24 hours. The numbers looked better yesterday. The PH is still a little high, and CYA and calium are still low. I added more cyanuric acid and calcium and ran the filter for 24 more hours. I can't seem to get the powder off the bottom of the liner. Is it normal to have to vacuum so much even with a polaris? It runs for 2 hours a day.

I should probably mention that the pool is in full sun and the temp is usually in the 80's early in the morning, up to 92 in the afternoon.

I've dreamed about this pool for years. I feel like I'm spending a lot more time trying to get it balanced than swimming. A little frustrated, but hopeful!!

I know this was a book, Sorry!

Remember, it takes a few days for the CYA to be completely dissolved and circulated. Give it a while to settle down. Once you get the hang of the TFP methodology your dream will be realized! Borates will make it even easier!

Thanks everyone, I feel more relaxed about it already. That's good to know that I don't need to add the calcium. I was told it will burn your liner if it settles on the bottom. The pool tested a lot better today. My PH and alkalinity were a little high. My chlorine was 10 though, so I turned the chlorinator down to 50%. I had been running on 70% because it was so low. I think the only problem was the CYA. I'll have to read up on the borates. There is still powdery like residue collecting in the bottom of the pool. Is that normal? Will it hurt the liner?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.