Really hope i didnt just screw it up!

Jul 16, 2016
Bushnell/FL
Hello! I have been following this site for many weeks as we have been setting up our first ever pool.
But sadly, i think i just screwed my pool over.
First, we have a Colman above ground, 18'x48"... and horrible well water :( The first time we filled it, about a month ago, it wasn't to bad. But after a week of using the "towels over the intake" method to filter out the iron, we ended up with just a clear-green water. Assuming we did something wrong, someone had the brilliant idea to dump the pool and start all over! So, last week we did that, and then had Pepsi brown water! Ugh! I threw the junk filter and pump the pool came with in the trash and bought a $160 sand filter. Great! So i thought :brickwall: Nothing happened (after a lot of wasted water in backwashing later) I bought a vacuum! Worked like MAGIC! Got all the iron off the floor of the pool and it was amazing! But, back to this CLEAR-GREEN water! Ughhh! Finally, after shockinh the pool yesterday, nothing happened. Today, i added Muratic acid, just under a gallon of it! And it stripped the coloring of my vinyl liner :'( I poured it around the edges, like i thought i read to do! And now i find out, i should have poured it onto the outtake stream! Did i just jack it all up?! What do i do?! Why is it clear-green?!

Why did you add muratic acid?

You have not even mentioned a high PH level, muratic acid is only used to lower PH. A gallon will lower a small pool like yours a WHOLE LOT. Your pool water is acidic, likely very acidic to the point of dangerous for your equipment and certainly for people. Depending on strength of what you used, 31.45% muratic would be enough to drastically lower the PH in your small pool.

You either need to figure out where you are and get it fixed or get that water out of there, the sooner the better!!!

You must test, not just dump stuff in, especially the wrong stuff. You can and possibly did seriously damage the pool and equipment doing this.

Shocking the pool once is not going to clear it up, it is a process. If your water is as bad as you claim, clearing it up may take a while.
Get a test kit and folks here will certainly help you figure out what you need.

Right, well the good news is my pool has not melted over night.

I dont have a kit yet, i took a sample to Ace, they have tested it 3 different times for me and just said my PH was off the charts high even after added "PH-down", so they said to add the acid. I only did as i was told.

This morning, 12+ hours after adding it, the water is drastically cleared up! Not perfect, but close. So i will take another sample when i go into town and have them write it down this time.

Sorry im a bit ignorant on pools, doing the best i can. In a very tiny town, my pool supplies are also limited, i have to order most online.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

If your FC is above 10 ppm it will skew the pH test to read falsely high, likely your pH is so acidic that it has caused your metals to go back into saturation in the water. This is just masking one problem with another one, a gallon of acid in a pool the size of yours is NEVER a good thing, a PINT at a time would likely be more than you should ever use in a pool that size and then only with careful testing.

Ike

p.s. I am sorry that you received bad advice from some guy at the hardware store, in the future please run things by us here, also you likely need to either neutralize or dump that acidic water before it causes more damage, but that requires a test, even one of the cheap $10 2 way OTO/pH drop tests will do for monitoring pH and getting a ballpark Chlorine level.

fb109a461878c1549a99117d68ac1c92.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can't be helped, it is important to get the PH corrected. All sorts of problems can result with PH very high or very low. It is important to keep PH between 7.2 and 7.8.

Order a TF-100 from TFTestkits.net. it is a great test kit, I've been buying mine there for many years.

This is how we kill algae, SLAM Process

It is safe to swim when
FC is above minimum for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], so the pool is sanitary
FC is below shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
PH Is between 7.2 and 7.8
The water is clear and you can see the bottom

6f9b655936f0ca78217ba7f1c22666f8.jpg
here is my pool today... from "soda brown" to "holy cow, it does have a blue bottom" in 48 hours! LOTS of vacuuming, 6lbs of shock, and a gallon of muriatic acid and then lastly 1lb of borax so it didnt eat our skin. My chlorine is still way up, so i cant actually test anything yet, but i am jaw-dropped at how it looks now! I never expected our iron well water to be so clear!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.