How do you block water at Skimmer

TechnoGeek

Jul 13, 2016
Terre Haute, Indiana
On an Above Ground Pool, I need to clean the basket at the pump.
I tried to block the incoming water from the skimmer but cannot do it very well.
I do a very good job of making mud puddles though!! :D
Do I have to put a valve on the line coming from the skimmer? :confused:
suggestion? Pictures of your setup Please!!!

Typically in AGPs you want a shut off valve on your skimmer and return lines so that you can open the pump basket without draining the pool. Another technique is to go and buy some drain plugs and temporarily plug the pipes from the pool side. One typically used these types of plug when they close/winterize their pools.

I want pictures because if your skimmer is threaded inside, then the easiest thing to do is get about 6" of PVC, cement that to a threaded male adapter and screw that into the skimmer so it acts like a snorkel. As long as the top of the pipe is above the water line, the water can't drain.

I want pictures because if your skimmer is threaded inside, then the easiest thing to do is get about 6" of PVC, cement that to a threaded male adapter and screw that into the skimmer so it acts like a snorkel. As long as the top of the pipe is above the water line, the water can't drain.

And if your skimmer is not threaded, stick one end of your vaccum hose in it, and leave the other above the waterline.

-dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1 1/2" valve/union is what I used. It can be disassembled like a union, and is integrated with a ball valve. The tightness of the union connection determines the effort required to turn the valve off/on. I have it tightened to where the ball valve is easily turned on/off. No leaks.

Attachments

• IMG_20160720_074519.jpg
    IMG_20160720_074519.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 144

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.