If pool is clear, is FC 4-6 required?

scader

Jul 3, 2016
Overland Park, KS
I noticed in the pool school that recommend FC for SWG-pool is about 4+ (CYA 70+). I was under the impression that home pools should be FC 2 to 4. I keep mine barely at FC 2 (CC typically .5 at most). If the water stays clear, is that bad? Does the pool school recommend FC 4+ for safety or water clarity?

To that affect, does FC generated by SWG disinfect, or do I need to occasionally add a stronger chlorine (typically Dichlor, when SWG gets behind)? ...or if I find a dead rodent in the pool, can the FC from SWG disinfect, or do I need to supplement with something stronger?

The amount of FC you need in your pool for proper sanitation is based on what your CYA is. See the link below. You really should be targeting 5 FC and never go below 3.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

- - - Updated - - -

On the rodent question.....I have found rodents in my pool and skimmers. I usually add a gallon of bleach.....peace of mind. Especially when there was one stuck on the weir door and his/her droppings were visible on the pool floor below. Uck

The chlorine produced by the SWG is exactly the same as that you'd buy in dichlor.....except its better since it doesn't come with extra CYA built in. Dichlor is not "stronger".

If you have a dead mouse or a reason to want an instant rise in your chlorine level you should use liquid chlorine (aka "bleach") to boost your FC up. The SWG is meant to work slow-and-steady, but you want faster results so that there is no risk of disease transmission.

Water clarity is one sign, but without knowing the actual FC of a pool you can't be assured of its sanitation. Your FC needs to be at the appropriate level based on your CYA level or you risk not only algae developing, but you can have person to person disease transmission in perfectly clear water.

Yippee :flower:

The chlorine produced by the SWG is exactly the same as that you'd buy in dichlor.....If you have a dead mouse or a reason to want an instant rise in your chlorine level you should use liquid chlorine (aka "bleach") to boost your FC up.

If the FC already tests 5 when finding a dead rodent (typically in skimmer), do I need to boost with more liquid chlorine--particularly with SWG and pump on full speed (typically, what I do in that scenario).

Its what your comfort level allows. Many of us skeeve the idea of a dead animal in the water that taking it up to SLAM level helps us feel better, perhaps erases the image in our mind a bit, but may not actually be necessary. Using bleach is preferred because it is faster and less wear and tear on the SWG.

Your call.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.