CYA reading method

jstblush

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2015
Pasco, WA
Hi all,
I am getting my CYA up after a new liner installation and have a question about reading the number. I noticed when you hold the tube at the top with your fingers, the reading is higher. The dot disappears sooner. But if you cup your whole hand around the tube like my husband does, you see the dot longer and the number is lower. Cupping the tube blocks most of the light out of the tube. So I'm thinking it should be held at the top with your fingers, not blocking the light from going through the tube. It seems to make a difference of about 10 points. That's quite a bit. And we are standing with our back toward the sun like it tells you to do.
Thanks for your input.
Sherry

Bright sunlight with your back to the sun... Hold the tube at waist level with your finger and thumb at the top of the tube. Add solution until the dot is faded to a shadow, then add 1-2 drops at a time until it just disappears. The result may be between 2 marks (lets say it looks like 35) but I will call it 40 to match a target level, since the test isn't accurate between lines.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.