Replaster?

Beez

LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2009
Dallas, TX
The pool I inherited when I recently bought my home is in need of replastering to the extent that the gunite is visible in patches. My question: Is this something that I can put off or could maintaining it in this condition cause damage?

FYI: The pool was built in the late 1970s. I have no history if or when it has been replastered or if the existing plaster is original.

Thanks,
Dave

JasonLion said:
Gunite usually leaks a bit, and it looks bad, but nothing is going to fail dramatically for a good while.
Oh, goodie! If it can wait another year or so, that would be better for my finances. The deck is jacked up too, so that will have to be taken care of as well.

Thanks for the reply!
Dave

mine had big chunks missing too. from this site, and noticing the jug of calcium hardness increaser in the garage, I think the CH got too low and leeched from the plaster. so keep an eye on the CH to prevent that from continuing.

reebok said:
mine had big chunks missing too. from this site, and noticing the jug of calcium hardness increaser in the garage, I think the CH got too low and leeched from the plaster. so keep an eye on the CH to prevent that from continuing.

mine has quite a few spots where i can see the gunite by the steps. Tops of the steps are missing some and around the waterline. Has not been an issue for me, though my plaster has come to the end of its life cycle and will be having it redone this year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.