Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replaster?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replaster?

The pool I inherited when I recently bought my home is in need of replastering to the extent that the gunite is visible in patches. My question: Is this something that I can put off or could maintaining it in this condition cause damage?

FYI: The pool was built in the late 1970s. I have no history if or when it has been replastered or if the existing plaster is original.

Thanks,
    Dave
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replaster?

Gunite usually leaks a bit, and it looks bad, but nothing is going to fail dramatically for a good while.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Gunite usually leaks a bit, and it looks bad, but nothing is going to fail dramatically for a good while.
    Oh, goodie! If it can wait another year or so, that would be better for my finances. The deck is jacked up too, so that will have to be taken care of as well.

Thanks for the reply!
    Dave
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

mine had big chunks missing too. from this site, and noticing the jug of calcium hardness increaser in the garage, I think the CH got too low and leeched from the plaster. so keep an eye on the CH to prevent that from continuing.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by reebok
    mine had big chunks missing too. from this site, and noticing the jug of calcium hardness increaser in the garage, I think the CH got too low and leeched from the plaster. so keep an eye on the CH to prevent that from continuing.
    mine has quite a few spots where i can see the gunite by the steps. Tops of the steps are missing some and around the waterline. Has not been an issue for me, though my plaster has come to the end of its life cycle and will be having it redone this year.
    Kidney shaped ~ 10000 gallon Ig Plaster pool with pool cage. 120sf Cartridge filter. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-26, 230 Volt, 7.8/3.0 Amp, 1-1/2 Horsepower 2 speed pump, Solar panels on the roof. Heliotrope HelioMatic 4000D solar controller.