Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clear, no CC, but heavy chlorine smell

1. Back To Top    #1

Clear, no CC, but heavy chlorine smell

I've tested and retested everyday this week, but everytime I go to get a sample I get a whiff of chlorine smell, particularly at the water level. Water is clear, no CC when I test, everything else looks good. Just not sure where the smell is coming from, any ideas?

FC 4.5
    CC 0
    PH 7.4
    TA 110
    CH 300
    CYA 60
    16000 Gallons Inground \ Pebble Tec \ 1 1/2 HP Whisperflo \ C&C+ 320 \ Pool Thing C390RS SWG \ Polaris ATV

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clear, no CC, but heavy chlorine smell

Try raising the FC level a little bit. WIth a CYA level of 60 you normally never want your FC level to go below 5. Try keeping it at 7 and higher for a couple of days and see if that helps.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Even though I have a SWG?
    16000 Gallons Inground \ Pebble Tec \ 1 1/2 HP Whisperflo \ C&C+ 320 \ Pool Thing C390RS SWG \ Polaris ATV

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry, I missed the SWG. Ignore my previous answer.

That is more confusing. Do you have an attached spa?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

No spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

I think my pool smells like chlorine too. just like it does when I take the lid off the chlorine jug (just less so). I keep it around 8-10 per the chlorine/cya chart. (70ppm cya)
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.