DE going back into pool

May 15, 2013
Ct
After backwash, I add the DE, I know to put in only 80%. A few weeks ago, I took the filter out to clean the fins. After I put them back, I put in the full DE amount for my filter. I noticed DE going back into the pool. Any ideas? Is the full amount after cleaning still too much

EDIT - This morning, I bw'sd the filter, put in some DE and out from the jets came the DE. I turned it off. Took the fins out to see, they werent that gummed up at all. I took them out, cleaned all of them, rinsed out the bottom of the filter. Put it back together and turned it on to get the air out. Once it was primed, I put in one scoop of DE, i watched the jets, out came some DE. Why?

Thanks

If a pool filter is letting dirt get past it then there is something wrong with the filter. It is either put together incorrectly, a part is broken or the filter material is damaged.

Maybe this tutorial will help to find the problem, Use and care for DE filters

thank you but I have read that before and done it according to that. I took the filter apart a few times, made sure it is properly back together. When I start the pump back and put new DE in, I see it coming out of the jets.

There has to be a leak or gap somewhere. Things to check: every inch of filter, broken or cracked plastic case, rubber seal, etc. You will see DE on most of the filter but not much around where the problem lies as the water (and DE) pushes through the problem area. I know they are tough to find, you'll have to look closely on where the DE is escaping.

There has to be a leak or gap somewhere. Things to check: every inch of filter, broken or cracked plastic case, rubber seal, etc. You will see DE on most of the filter but not much around where the problem lies as the water (and DE) pushes through the problem area. I know they are tough to find, you'll have to look closely on where the DE is escaping.

Thank you for the reply, so I will take it all apart and look for a DEless area.

took the filter out and inspected all of the fins. they ll look good, no cracks on any pipes. i washed it and put it back. I inspected the backwash valve and it is in the right position.

I put more DE in and it came out the jets again when I ran the filter

How can I tell if the valve is damaged or not?

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had one of these, roughly the same vintage based on the looks of things and had the same issue. I would bet it's the filter element. Likely torn very slightly in a spot difficult to see, but easy enough for dt to pass through. My ex pool guy made up all sorts of garbage, sand, excess chlorine, etc, but only after he took it apart and inspected for an hour did he find the hole. How old is the internal filter element? How often do you remove and clean?

I had one of these, roughly the same vintage based on the looks of things and had the same issue. I would bet it's the filter element. Likely torn very slightly in a spot difficult to see, but easy enough for dt to pass through. My ex pool guy made up all sorts of garbage, sand, excess chlorine, etc, but only after he took it apart and inspected for an hour did he find the hole. How old is the internal filter element? How often do you remove and clean?

Thanks for your reply. So you are saying it is not the lever assembly but the filter fins? I usually take the filter out a few times a year to clean it. So far this year I have taken it out four times. Yesterday when I took it out It had some small bare spots but I figured it may have been from me clumisly taking it out. I am short and its kind of heavy wet and full of gunk. I didnt hit it on any thing to tear it but it did bump on my body and legs

I took the fins out one by one and looked at them after spraying but did not see anything obvious. But if it is a small tear, I could have missed it. I will check the fins again very meticulously

Thank you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.