Add Copper to pool?

Jul 4, 2016
Winchester, VA
Hi all! I converted a 6000 gallon Intek vinyl pool from baquacil (son having allergic reaction) to saltwater by draining, scrubbing, and refilling. All has worked out well so far even though I started the conversion trusting test strips. Pool has been clear since day one of conversion. I have since got the TF100 test kit. My question is the Intek SWG manual says to bring the copper level up to 0.1-0.2ppm by running in BOOST mode and then keep FC at 3ppm. I have done none of this and instead have been following the TFP recommedations. However, I haven't found advice on TFP about copper (I'm sure I am missing it with the plethora of info here).
Do I continue to ignore the copper recommendation or should I bring copper up to 0.1 ppm to help retard algae growth? (The Intek manual warns of green hair if copper goes above 0.3ppm)
I overdosed the initial salt fill but all seems ok, and TA is high, but no issues so I haven't taken corrective action on this. I run the SWG and Filter 6 hours per day at night.

Last readings:
pH 7.5
Total Chlorine 5
Free Chlorine 4.5
CYA: 80
CH: 175
TA: 170
Salt: 3800

I would not add copper to the pool....too many potential negative side affects. Properly chlorinated, you will never have to worry about algae.

Copper is a source of staining that can be impossible to remove. You seem to have a good handle on things by not using copper so I see no reason to start.

Generally speaking, this forum simply does not suggest the use of copper.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.