Trouble picking a pool builder

Jun 28, 2016
Leaf river
Hi all...this is such a great site. Ive been working with a few builders this summer for a vinyl in ground pool with paver patio. I have it narrowed down to the final 2 , but can't decide....please help. The pool is a 24x40 mountain lake with deep end. We want paver coping with 1000 sq ft of paver decking.

The more experienced builder is almost 6k more and does the paver work himself. The other builder has only done a few in grounds, but says he sub contracts guys who have done it for years. Both pools come with the same equipment and the same brand of pavers.

When I told the builder with the higher price about the new builder, he offered to upgrade me to a saltwater pool (no steel wall) for the same price, which is still 6k more. I really would like to save the 6k, but dont want to regret it later. I just dont know how difficult it is to install pools.....any input will be much appreciated.

Trust your gut. Be willing to accept a lesser pool if you try to pocket the cash.

I also think higher price builder is still pocketing margin, he upgraded you awful quickly. If you are willing to walk away, continue pushing him to come down on price.

I appreciate the honesty of the guy who subs out the work. Most gunite builders (it seems) sub out the majority of the work anyway. So that wouldn't bother me with the vinyl. 6k is huge. Is the experienced guy taking a huge mark up or is the other bidding low just to get the job. In my build I looked for the person who I felt would address issues when they came up (they likely will it's how they are fixed makes all the difference). If you feel that the lower guy would be great when it comes to issues give him a shot. Does he have any references? If he's only done a few that means only a few references and he can't hide the bad experiences. Someone who has built 100s or thousands of pools will only give you the great jobs. My vinyl pool builder subbed out the excavation and I got my own electric, plumbing (for heater) and landscaper for coping and decking. Good luck with your build.

Hi all...this is such a great site. Ive been working with a few builders this summer for a vinyl in ground pool with paver patio. I have it narrowed down to the final 2 , but can't decide....please help. The pool is a 24x40 mountain lake with deep end. We want paver coping with 1000 sq ft of paver decking.

The more experienced builder is almost 6k more and does the paver work himself. The other builder has only done a few in grounds, but says he sub contracts guys who have done it for years. Both pools come with the same equipment and the same brand of pavers.

When I told the builder with the higher price about the new builder, he offered to upgrade me to a saltwater pool (no steel wall) for the same price, which is still 6k more. I really would like to save the 6k, but dont want to regret it later. I just dont know how difficult it is to install pools.....any input will be much appreciated.

I'm assuming that if you're going to the expense of putting in an IG pool you're planning on staying in the house for quite a while? (I put in an IG pool at my last house and then when my kids both went away to college & then subsequently moved out of state for jobs, & I did what I thought I'd never do, and sold the big house and moved leaving my wonderful pool behind). If you're planning on staying put awhile, over time, 6K isn't so much.

Personally, I'd go with the guy with the experience, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and if something is not right, my eye is drawn to it every time and I'm not happy.

I like to justify getting things I want, so for your situation...lol.....6K is a family trip to Europe, and it's over in a couple of weeks. You'll have this pool for years!!!

Will also add that builder with lower price can start in 2 weeks. Other builder is 2 months out and I live in the midwest...

Pool won't be usable until next summer anyway, so time shouldn't be an issue, IMO.

Have you seen both guys' work? When I had a fiberglass pool installed at the my last house, the two local fiberglass guys gave me lists of people that I could contact, and I went and looked at a few of the pools. That made my decision for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.