Is JUST Skimmer enough?

May 31, 2016
Lynchburg, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
With having added a skimmer this yr, it totally changed the location of everything. I am wondering if just the skimmer is enough going from the pool to the filter. Daily, I have to vacuum because there is visible stuff on the floor EVERY day. I have been doing my best for a SLAM as my work schedule is 8-10 hrs M-F. So I check it in the AM before leaving for work & add enough Chlorine that PoolMath says will take it to 16FC. When I get home I test then vacuum then add again. On the weekends I test 2-3 hrs apart & add chlorine as needed. I've asked my 18 yr old to brush every day, granted his brushing is not as complete as when I do it, but it's the best I can do while I am at work. I am just wondering if I added another suction port lower in the pool if it would suck up this stuff better than the skimmer by itself?
0715161924a_zpsqcgagiuf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
0715161924_zpsxhvyha2w.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
0715161924c_zpsn6fgt31r.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

You're doing great. Exactly what we would expect for a busy, full-time working parent. Most pools like yours have just one skimmer, and sure, inevitably some stuff gets waterlogged and sinks before getting sucked into the skimmer, but that's how it works. You could consider trying to add another return just to help push water towards the skimmer if you like. That may help. As for your teenager's cleaning skills & patience ... well .... let's just say mine is the same way. :wink: Have a nice weekend.

The skimmer should be enough for circulation purposes. You are always going to be getting dirt and debris in the pool ... so you either need to keep manually vacuuming, or get some kind of automated cleaner (which is what most people have).

OK, cool but would adding another return & another port lower in the pool to the pump help more?

- - - Updated - - -

Automated cleaner? Don't those STAY in the pool? I don't really see this pool having enough room to LEAVE something in the pool. Or am I misunderstanding automated cleaners?
The skimmer should be enough for circulation purposes. You are always going to be getting dirt and debris in the pool ... so you either need to keep manually vacuuming, or get some kind of automated cleaner (which is what most people have).

OK, cool but would adding another return & another port lower in the pool to the pump help more?
My comment was I reference to some other Intex owners who had sufficient pump "push" of water to consider splitting-off of the return hose and making a second return line. Some get quite creative and make either another return jet and/or an aeration port for a fountain. If you do some TPF "searches" at the top right you'll see great examples.

Yeah, I added a fountain, (the red handle in the picture). I'll look into adding another return, wife & I had already discussed it. The one return right now WOWSER when standing in front of it, lol. I'll check out the searches & see what I can find. Thanks
My comment was I reference to some other Intex owners who had sufficient pump "push" of water to consider splitting-off of the return hose and making a second return line. Some get quite creative and make either another return jet and/or an aeration port for a fountain. If you do some TPF "searches" at the top right you'll see great examples.

Do you use any kind of pool cover?

I figured I really didn't need one on my small pool, especially after getting all the trees in my backyard cut down. But just a few weeks ago, I bought a solar cover and boy has it made a difference as to how clean my pool stays.

I was running Wanda the Whale twice a week before getting the cover and now I just use her once a week.

I highly recommend both.

Solar cover on - warms up pool, keeps it cleaner, lessens evaporation.

Solar cover off.

Wanda the Whale doing her cleaning thing.

Pool Cover = no :(
Do you use any kind of pool cover?

I figured I really didn't need one on my small pool, especially after getting all the trees in my backyard cut down. But just a few weeks ago, I bought a solar cover and boy has it made a difference as to how clean my pool stays.

I was running Wanda the Whale twice a week before getting the cover and now I just use her once a week.

So does Wanda STAY in the pool ALL the time? That is my question/concern

I highly recommend both.

Solar cover on - warms up pool, keeps it cleaner, lessens evaporation.

How much work is it to put on & take off?

Solar cover off.

VERY good Idea I might just have to steal.:p

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.