Another Algae Bloom

Iceman82

Bronze Supporter
Jun 19, 2016
Aurora, IL
Hello Fellow Pool Owners,

I feel like I'm posting here all the time. It's my first year with a pool and I'm going insane. I've posted a few times with a recurring algae issue. I'm hoping that someone here can help me troubleshoot this issue.

After a few posts, I was finally able to get my pool balanced and water clear. This was 3-4 weeks ago and all has been well since.....until this week. I spent Saturday and Sunday in the pool and everyhing was balanced. Being busy with work, my wife and I ignored the pool all week. No vacuuming took place and no chlorine was added to pool at all. I know....I know, my fault. Too add to it, there was alot of rain to make matters worse.

I went outside today and the pool is clear-ish, but there is green algae growing on the floor and all over the walls. It's pretty gross.This is the most algae that I've sen in the water since opening it. This AM my wife vacuumed the pool and got ride of the leaves and algae on floor. It's still pretty green though and clearly in bloom.

What do I do? How do I control this? Do I need to add chlorine everyday during the summertime? How often should I vacuum?

I just received my TF-1000 TEST KIT. Here are my results.

FC 8-8.5
pH 7.2
TA 100
CH 200-250 ppm
CYA- 120??? It's well over 100. I couldn't see the black dot when it was a bit more than halfway to the 100 watermark.
CC- 1?

These results may not be super accurate. It was my first time using the pool test kit.

I know my CYA is high. How can I lower it? Is that wasting my chlorine?

I'd appreciate any and all feedback that you can share. I just want to get in my pool....and now I can't....AGAIN!!!!

Thanks,

Aaron

Welcome and nice to meet you via TFP :)

Quick route... get right at it and drain the pool about 3/4 and refill.

You can retest CYA using the dilution method. See point #9 in Pool School - CYA. If it's closer to 120 than 180, you may not need to drain 3/4.

You can get rid of the algae by following the SLAM procedure: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

And then use liquid chlorine as your day-to-day source of chlorine.

There's many of us here who've been in the same situation and able to help you get back to sparkly water, but unfortunately there's no other way to get rid of CYA when it gets too high.

If you are going to let it sit for a week with no attention this method may not be your best route. The TFP method requires diligence and chlorine......it's very simple, but it isn't hands free.

If you are going to let it sit for a week with no attention this method may not be your best route. The TFP method requires diligence and chlorine......it's very simple, but it isn't hands free.

I get it. I'm usually on top of it. I can't do anything about opening restaurants like crazy and working 18+ hours a day. Do you want to share some recommendations or just criticize? I was hoping to answers and not criticisms. Thanks.

Welcome and nice to meet you via TFP :)

Quick route... get right at it and drain the pool about 3/4 and refill.

You can retest CYA using the dilution method. See point #9 in Pool School - CYA. If it's closer to 120 than 180, you may not need to drain 3/4.

You can get rid of the algae by following the SLAM procedure: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

And then use liquid chlorine as your day-to-day source of chlorine.

There's many of us here who've been in the same situation and able to help you get back to sparkly water, but unfortunately there's no other way to get rid of CYA when it gets too high.

Thanks so much! I appreciate it. Any experience with Automatic Vacuums?

Only three, and no robots. I'm really happy with my Pentair Rebel but can't recommend it yet cause of only around a dozen uses. It cleans well, but I don't know about how it will stand up. I didn't like the diaphragm type because of the noise and it got stuck in corners. Polaris booster type, for me, would be too much energy use and not enough vacuuming to the filter, but was very good for big leaves where my wife once lived. The Rebel is a copy of "The Pool Cleaner" and hasn't been on the market for very long.

I get it. I'm usually on top of it. I can't do anything about opening restaurants like crazy and working 18+ hours a day. Do you want to share some recommendations or just criticize? I was hoping to answers and not criticisms. Thanks.

I don't think any offense was intended and it is true TFPC is not hands free and algae doesn't give ... about your availability especially when it gets hot :). Anyway- was your pump running at the time? How old are the cartridges? If you don't have time to test then you probably don't have time to swim either but at least you need to find time to dump some liquid chlorine 'blindly' so you'd have easier time later. You have to make it hard for algae to survive. Good thing about chlorine is you can overdo it to some extent safely and it simply drops down over few days on its own.

Algae Bloom, CYA and Trichlor tabs

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!

feel like I'm posting here all the time. It's my first year with a pool and I'm going insane. I've posted a few times with a recurring algae issue. I'm hoping that someone here can help me troubleshoot this issue.

After a few posts, I was finally able to get my pool balanced and water clear. This was 3-4 weeks ago and all has been well since.....until this week. I spent Saturday and Sunday in the pool and everyhing was balanced. Being busy with work, my wife and I ignored the pool all week. No vacuuming took place and no chlorine was added to pool at all. I know....I know, my fault. Too add to it, there was alot of rain to make matters worse.

I went outside yesterday and the pool was clear-ish, but there was green algae growing on the floor and all over the walls. It's pretty gross.This is the most algae that I've sen in the water since opening it. Yesterday my wife vacuumed the pool and got ride of the leaves and algae on floor. It's still pretty green though and clearly in bloom.

Just got my test TF-100 test and kit and here are my results from yesterday . It's my first time testing, so results may not be accurate. I also added another Trichlor tab after testing, I thought that would help eliminate algae (I know......bad move)

Fc- 8-8.5
pH- 7.0
TA- 100
CH- 200-250
Cya- 120??? Couldn't see the black dot way before the solution hit 100. It's pretty high.
CC- 1??

What do I do? I've been using Trichlor tabs for chlorine, not realizing that they have CYA. Is that why my CYA is off the charts? Do I have to drain? I don't even know how to drain the pool. I'm sooooo lost right now. My chlorine is well over 15 this AM with the last addition of Trichlor.

Can I shock wit liquid bleach at this level? Should I? Leslie's Pool keeps telling me that I'm insane/suicidal to add bleach to my pool. Those were his exact words.

Should I switch to liquid bleach? Do I need to add bleach daily? I could use any and all help. Can't anyone walk me through this process????

Thanks everyone. I just want to g et in my poo!!!!!

Re: Algae Bloom, CYA and Trichlor tabs

Needsajet gave you spot on advice here. Another Algae Bloom

Our advice won't be the same as the pool store. Their comment just goes to show how insane they are as I'm sure they sell liquid chlorine. The only difference between theirs and plain unscented bleach is strength. Theirs is probably a bit stronger. It's all sodium hypochlorite.

IMHO you are insane to take advice from pool store. I am no expert but I think a partial drain is the only way to get it back. If you do not have time for a proper slam yourself (which requires partial drain first), you could hire a pool service if you have the money. But be sure to interview and see how they do it. I do not know what type of pool you have but I know several people who have had damage to plaster due to the methods used by pool service companies but I also know many who have reasonably good success, but too expensive for me. and once you have it dialed in not too bad on time but it does need daily dosing of chlorine whether by automated system or manual. Possibly look into dossing pump or salt water generator to assist. pools are like boats, expensive unless you are able to maintain and you do all the work , then everyone else enjoys. Also you asked about robot cleaner, they help with maintenance and I have bought one and would do it again but still some work and it does not maintain chemical balance in pool. I hope this helps. Experts here will walk you through the process but if you do not have time it will be futile. any questions feel free to ask.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Why would the CYA be so high? It's my first year as the homeowner. When we opened the pool it was already pretty high....90 or so. I haven't added any stabilizer to the pool. Only the Trichlor tabs. Would that raise the CYA so high?

Should I stop using Trichlor tabs? I'm getting close to switching to liquid bleach.

Any suggestions?

I done with Leslie's Pool. The guy accused me off adding CYA to the pool and said that Trichlor wouldn't do that.

My CYA reading was 200.

You have a TF-100 test kit. You don't need the pool store. Do some reading here in pool school (link on the top of the web page).

You'll get this.

Try diluting your CYA test per these instructions Pool School - CYA

And post back with results. We trust your test more than the pool store.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh......and stop going to the pool store for testing. Trust yourself with your TF-100. Stop doubting yourself.

Hi Again Iceman,
If CYA is 200 I believe the only way you got that was to do the dilution test, I do not think Aimee saw that post as she was probably typing her response. The dilution test is to see how much you have to drain. I will let someone else with more experience tell you how much water you will have to drain, but I know in ground vinyl lined pools should not be drained all the way because of liner shift and or side wall cave in if water table too high, above ground may be different but I am not sure so I will let someone else advise. I feel your pain, I too am on my second year of managing an inherited pool and was having difficulty until I landed here, I also have a new algae bloom right now but feel confident I can handle it because of this site and I will be able to use the pool while I SLAM as I caught the problem early and visibility is still very good I can see a quarter in the deep end just have difficult telling if it is heads or tails, when water is right you can tell which side pretty easily, also the water sparkles which is hard to describe but once you see it you know. Hang in there someone I am sure will let you know how much to drain. I was able to drain refill, vacuum to waste and refill several times, water bill was $400 for 32,000 gals which I did not think too bad, considering I wasted that much at pool store. But again I feel your pain, and your pool probably just started to get warm. I like the pool water at 86 or above, 83 is too cold for me and can't (or more properly won't) swim at night unless over 86. Best of luck and hope you get through this, quickly

Hi Again Iceman,
If CYA is 200 I believe the only way you got that was to do the dilution test, I do not think Aimee saw that post as she was probably typing her response. The dilution test is to see how much you have to drain. I will let someone else with more experience tell you how much water you will have to drain, but I know in ground vinyl lined pools should not be drained all the way because of liner shift and or side wall cave in if water table too high, above ground may be different but I am not sure so I will let someone else advise. I feel your pain, I too am on my second year of managing an inherited pool and was having difficulty until I landed here, I also have a new algae bloom right now but feel confident I can handle it because of this site and I will be able to use the pool while I SLAM as I caught the problem early and visibility is still very good I can see a quarter in the deep end just have difficult telling if it is heads or tails, when water is right you can tell which side pretty easily, also the water sparkles which is hard to describe but once you see it you know. Hang in there someone I am sure will let you know how much to drain. I was able to drain refill, vacuum to waste and refill several times, water bill was $400 for 32,000 gals which I did not think too bad, considering I wasted that much at pool store. But again I feel your pain, and your pool probably just started to get warm. I like the pool water at 86 or above, 83 is too cold for me and can't (or more properly won't) swim at night unless over 86. Best of luck and hope you get through this, quickly

I assumed from the post that Leslie told him 200. We trust home testing with a good kit over Leslie testing.

Iceman, If Leslie's Pool told you there was no CYA in trichlor. You should have gone over to the trichlor container and shown him the ingredients part of label. It will have Cyanuric Acid (CYA) on it. And then see his response. Most know it is in there as a stabilizer. But they do not recognize that at a high level it has such a buffering effect that it can not sanitize the pool. Then they will try to sell you some magic bullet but there is no magic bullet, it is science.

Thanks so much everyone. I'm going to buy a sump pump today and drain 1/3 of the pool, refill with water and test again.

I'm also done with Trichlor. I'd rather add chlorine stabilizer on my own as needed. This was a big mess that could've been avoided. I'll be switching my pool to liquid bleach tomorrow and following the SLAM procedure.

Does any liquid bleach work? Can I buy generic or bulk from Costco? Is there anywhere to get a good deal on bulk?

I can't thank you guys enough. You've been so much help.

Iceman, If Leslie's Pool told you there was no CYA in trichlor. You should have gone over to the trichlor container and shown him the ingredients part of label. It will have Cyanuric Acid (CYA) on it.
The ingredients will show "Trichloroisocyanuric acid", not CYA as an individual ingredient. But, it should be clear from the name that it's in there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.