poor water flow

Sep 23, 2015
Austin
A few months ago, I posted about helping out some Italian neighbours with their SWG and pool .

They are now on vacation in Italy (lucky!!!) and I got a phone call the other day from another neighbour who is looking after their house because she thought the pool water level was too low. I went over and added some more - it was a bit low but ok still. At the time I thought that the water looked a bit cloudy but thought it might be because the water had got a bit low and not enough going through the filter. Well, anyway, that was what I told myself at the time and I made a mental note to go back and check.

I went back yesterday and was horrified to see that the pool water level had gone right down and there was a small trickle going into the skimmer basket. In a week, the water level had gone down about 4-6 inches. I turned off the pump, added the water then went back to turn on the pump about an hour later. Then I noticed that all around the filter/pump the ground was saturated and very muddy. When I turned on the pump, water came out of what I thought should be where they attach a hose for backwashing. Quite a lot of water and obviously this was why their water level had gone down so much. I tried again and this time noticed that there was no filter pressure at all. I bled the air out but no water came up and no pressure either. Then I had a look at the multi-port and noticed that it was in "circulate" mode. I turned it to "filter" and the water went into the filter, the filter pressure went up to about 30psi and water started going into the pool. No more water coming out of the "backwash" hole. Great. Then I had a look at the return jets and there was almost no water coming out, first some bubbles which stopped but hardly any water.

Where do I start? Could there be an air blockage somewhere?

thanks

Just adding that there is sand in the pool. I had forgotten this- it was in the polaris bag and there is some on the steps that I can see. I've been reading through the forum and I guess that there is a problem with the multi-port and the sand filter leaking sand into the pool.

Last edited:
Sorry to be cynical, but I would start by asking the vacationing neighbors if they want your help.

They probably don't have a clue what the issue is and a better bet might be for them to call a pool guy.

If you have a great relationship with them, then I would still ask them if they want you to attempt a fix......you never know.

Sorry to be cynical, but I would start by asking the vacationing neighbors if they want your help.

They probably don't have a clue what the issue is and a better bet might be for them to call a pool guy.

If you have a great relationship with them, then I would still ask them if they want you to attempt a fix......you never know.

I have been in touch with them, they are happy for me to help out. However, I haven't offered to "fix" their pool just try to make sure that they don't come home to a green swamp.
I have added that there is sand in the pool - I had mentioned this to them after the first top-up of water. I hadn't realised that this might be the issue until reading through some more of the posts. I don't really have any interest in spending a lot of time on this either.
Their swg is saying "low salt" (yes, well I've added a lot of water) and "no water flow". I've turned it off and my plan was to just add some bleach until they get home to stop the water going green. However, the water filter is very poor and I wondered if there was a quick fix for this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.