I need help! Cloudy Pool

Welcome to TFP!

You can start a new topic by pressing the "+ New Topic" button at the top of the topic list.

If you tell us more about your problem, particularly with a full set of water test results, we can help you solve your cloudy pool problem.

Dickie and Teresa said:
pH 7.2
FC 1.5
CC 0
TC 1.5
TA 170

I copied these out of your signature - that's a bit confusing. You should put the results in a posting, not your signature. You can easily edit that out though.

1. We need a CYA test result.
2. Your FC is too low to clear your pool, you need to maintain shock level. How long has it been cloudy?
3. How are you testing the water?
4. What is the story behind your situation?

I'll edit that info out. Sorry! I don't have the CYA result. A friend of ours ran some results at his home and I guess they didn't have that number.
It was green when we started, then turned cloudy since we opened about 4 weeks ago. My husband has been back and forth to the local pool store with samples and they have been telling him what to put in. He did brush the bottom and it turned green for a couple of days and then went back to being cloudy.
What other info do we need?

Okay. Well, it sounds like you just haven't held your free chlorine levels up at 'shock level' long enough to kill all the algae, if you ever reached shock level. Sounds like another case of being "Pool Stored". I've been there, done that! :rant:

However, your shock level depends on your CYA level. So tomorrow get the CYA tested at the Pool Store and then we can advise you better.

I would suggest you order either the TF100 or the Taylor K-2006 test kits online tonight, so you can take control of your pool. Read about these kits in Pool School.

Have you read the articles in Pool School?

No worries, we'll help you through this! :wink:

Its easy to get overwhelmed, its a lot of information to absorb and alot of it is contrary to what we have been repeatedly told by the Pool Stealers.

It will start to click and make sense around the third reading. :mrgreen: :goodjob:

Till tomorrow :wave:

Don't buy anything from the Pool Store tomorrow!

Get a full set of numbers i.e.:
FC
CC
TC
pH
TA
CA
CYA!!!

Don't get frustrated! It's really simple. :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is time to shock the pool. With a CYA level of 60 your FC shock level is 18. The basic idea is to test the FC level, add enough chlorine to bring FC back up to 18, and repeat that process frequently (as often as once an hour, as infrequently as twice a day) until the FC level holds overnight and the CC level is zero. There are instructions at Pool School.

If your FC is .5, and your TC is 1.5, then your CC is 1-not 0.

If you look at the CYA chart, you can see what your FC levels need to be, for normal everyday use and also see the far right column- that's your shock level. While this number differs from the Pool Calculator recommendation, go ahead and just use Jason's recommended 18 as your shock level.

Now go to the Pool Calculator, enter in your gallons in the "size" box. ( I think your pool is really 13,500 gallons, I have the same size pool.)

In the "now" column, put in .5. In the "target" column, put in 18. Hit calculate. It will tell you how much bleach to add. Tell me what you come up with....

So you need to add that amount of bleach or liquid chlorine, which is "shocking your Pool". In your case as your calcium levels and CYA levels are on the high end, you only want liquid chlorine or bleach for shocking.

You'll need to shock until your FC holds overnight. The only way to tell if the FC holds is with an FAS-DPD test, which is included in the two test kits we recommend. So if you haven't done so, I recommend you order the kit. Otherwise you will need to keep shocking until the water is clear. Make sure you are running the pump 24/7 while this is happening.

Read "How to Shock your Pool" and "Perform the Overnight FC Test" in Pool School.

You'll probably need to repeat the shock process a couple of times. :wink:

Hope this helps. If you are confused at all, ask away.

Me again. I was looking over the info that the pool store printed out. They have our pool as 15,000 gallons, so if I'm not mistaken, all of our numbers are inaccurate. Also, just found out that the CYA number my husband told me is from the beginning of the season. When he took the sample out today, they told him he didn't need the CYA since it was so expensive (they don't charge us anything to test samples so I don't get that). Should we take another sample out tomorrow and have them change the gallons and check the CYA again? I still think we will go ahead and add some bleach to at least get started. Should I go ahead and run the calculations that I have now? Put chlorine in? Cry? Close the pool? Eat dinner? I'll start with dinner. Let me know your thoughts. :shock:

Teresa,

First, welcome to the forum. Lot's of folks here with a ton of knowledge that they'll share.

After dinner (and perhaps an adult beverage :lol: ), I think you should start by gaining a very basic understanding of pool water chemistry. Probably the best place to start is in "ABC's of pool water chemistry" up in Pool School.

That knowledge will arm you with some questions for us and we'll promptly answer them. Next, we can apply that knowledge to your particular situation and get you headed down the right path. I'll warn you in advance, you're gonna' be asked constantly for current test results. not from a cheapo kit but a good kit that can test for CYA, FC as well as TC, etc (you can read all about that in Pool School). The two kits that almost everyone on the forum recommends are the Taylor K-2006 and the one I sell...... the TF-100.

Armed with a good test kit. You can get control of your pool and know what needs to be done and (from this forum) how to do it. :lol:

I ordered my test kit - the TF-100. We went ahead and put some chlorine in the pool and then I discovered that the type of chlorine we have been using may be what is causing the cloudiness. It is calcium hydrochloride 68%. I believe that we have calcium dust in the pool. We also put in a half gallon of bleach an hour later. Other than draining more water out of the pool, do you think that keeping up the bleach until the levels are correct will also correct the cloudiness?

I think you would do best to just sit tight until you get your test kit. You have some chlorine in the pool from the Cal Hypo so I don't think you'll get algae. Your kit will ship Monday and you'll get it on Tuesday via Fedex Ground (Thank You) The cloudiness can very well be a comination of high pH, TA and Calcium but let's wait for your test results and then get a plan of action.

While you're waiting, don't use anymore Cal Hypo. If you have a pool store near you and are anxious to do something, you can have them test the water for you and post the results here. Pool Stores are frequently very innaccurate in their testing so your own testing will be the most valuable info.

If you have a small kit that tests for chlorine, it would be good to see what that says. Do you have one of those?

Other than draining more water out of the pool, do you think that keeping up the bleach until the levels are correct will also correct the cloudiness?
Perhaps but we really need the test results to advise you correctly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.