Best Solar collector configuration?

hoboat

May 19, 2008
Hi - my first post. Am adding solar to our IG pool. Have already bought everything I need (ebay rocks). 320 sf of Fafco horizontal collectors (16 - 2x20 panels), GoldLine controller, pipe, and fittings. Building two 22x9 racks. Racks are 45 feet from the pump.

The only decision I am struggling with is with the two racks. Is it better to have the cold water from the pool flow from one panel to the other and then back to the pool, or have the water flow into each rack separately and then join together after its heated and back into the pool?

Also, one hint that I picked up in my research that many may know - make sure you are not sending 100% of your water from the pump through the collectors (if you are using typical flat plastic panels). This can cause premature damage to the collectors as they are designed for quite low pressure (I think max 8PSI). You should have a ball valve in front of your solar controller valve that will throttle the amount of water that you divert to the solar collectors.

Thanks

22x36 Rainbow IG vinyl pool
Spillover Spa
Really big slide that I paid way too much for but the kids love it (and me too)
SW generator
1.5 hp Hayward pump
Gas Heater

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.