Just getting some green around top walls of plaster

Hi All,

I've never had any experience with algae before. My FC has been running fairly low the past few days - around 1. I just added 1 large bottle of Chlorox regular bleach. I've had pucks in a container in the pool non-stop, but only one floater with 3" pucks. The timing here is perfect as we're about to start a family reunion. I have some questions..

1. Is it currently safe to swim? All of my water parameters are otherwise fine and the water itself is totally clear.

2. Should I add algaecide?

Any help on immediate action and knowledge of safety will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Steve

Hello Steve. Well, even though you say your chemicals are within parameters, it would be better if you could post a full set of results from your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. Seeing as that your FC as around 1 before and you have been using chlorine pucks, I have a suspicion your algae issue is not resolved. Definitely do NOT use an algaecide. It will only add to your problems. With some accurate test results we can help you further. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

It is safe to swim when
FC is above minimum for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
FC is below shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
PH Is between 7.2 and 7.8
The water is clear

Hi Texas Splash,

Yesterday I managed to brush what green I saw quite easily. I'd added 2 full bottle of Chlorox regular bleach to bring FC up. Still have pucks floating as well.

Just took all levels on my Taylor 2006 and all seems good, so let me know what comments you have.

FC = 6.4
CC = 0
PH = 7.8
CYA = 40
TA = 90
CH = 300

Water is crystal clear

Steve

Very good Steve. Your numbers at the moment look very good. If your water is still crystal clear with no signs of algae, you may have dodged a bullet. To be safe, you could always perform an overnight (OCLT) test to ensure there is no excessive organics taking your free chlorine. In addition, you can switch your FC testing to the 10ML sample to help save on reagents as follows:
10ml sample with one heaping scoop of powder, multiply drop count by 0.5 (divide by 2); Example: 14 drops = FC of 7.

just curious- why have you been letting the FC get so low for a few days duration? That's just asking for trouble. Especially with a family party coming up.....?

Keep that FC up properly and brush well just to make sure you've disrupted any biofilm and algae that may be hiding... don't need any surprises on the party day, right?

Hi all,

Jumping back in here. I've been maintaining all good levels. FC has been steady (as have the other parameters), but have been noticing that every 3 or so days I start to get a subtle showing of green on one wall that needs brushing. I have attached some pics where you can hopefully see how/when it starts. Is it just customary that you have to brush every few days for your own protection? I don't remember having to do that last year, so I'm wondering if, regardless of current levels, I am having an organics issue of some kind. The only possible thing I can think of is that after the pool was opened at the start of summer, I mostly removed dead algae via vacuuming to waste. However I did also vacuum a good amount into the filter. I did not backwash after that because my filter pressure was barely affected. Love any feedback to see if I could have issue or if this is just par for the course. Thanks.

Touch of green on wall:
IMG_8449.jpg

Another spot:

IMG_8450.jpg

Shot of who pool so you can see the water is otherwise crystal clear:

IMG_8451.jpg

... I've been maintaining all good levels. FC has been steady (as have the other parameters), but have been noticing that every 3 or so days I start to get a subtle showing of green on one wall that needs brushing.
How often do you test and add chlorine? What is your target and minimum? What is your CYA?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As long as you aren't dropping below 3 that sounds good to me. I target a little higher in the summer to make SURE I don't drop below minimum.

I have an older pool also. (but not as old as yours!) Whoever built mine was either lazy or dumb or cheap, because I have 1 return and one skimmer that are basically right next to each other. As such the circulation is not the best.

All to say, is it possible the water isn't circulating to the wall that gets the algae? Algae will not grow at sufficient chlorine levels and if the wall is a "dead spot" then it is inviting it to grow. :/

Mr Bruce,

Thanks for reply. Interesting comment. Yes, I only have one skimmer and two return ports directly beneath the skimmer. I angle them both in one direction in hopes to generate best circulation, however that could very well be the issue as the green mostly appears on the opposing wall. Still, I hope there isn't some other issue as it seems every 2 or 3 days I'm getting some slight green re-appearing.

First, I would point the returns in opposite directions. I know the rule of thumb is "in a circle", but it's worth a shot.

If the green was still appearing, I would take a sample from in front of the wall, a couple of feet down. You could use a pvc pipe or put your thumb over an empty (and rinsed) soda bottle and stick it deep in the water and take your thumb off. This way you can see if the FC at that wall is sufficient.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.