Help for a pool newbie

massam

May 28, 2009
Post split to form new thread

Hi I am a new pool owner and just opened above ground 18 X 40 pool 21,900 gallons got a TF 100 test kit.

Question do I need to get my chlorine level up to 5 to get good readings or where do i start?

Pool calculator has me adding 21oz muratic acid and 128oz of 6% bleach
TA reading up to 22 drops and solution still not red???

my readings are as follows:

fc o
cc 1

ph 7.8

ta >220

thanks for help

matt

sand filter

Welcome Matt,

First, put your pool specs/equipment in your Signature. Go to User Control Panel - top left, then Profile, then Edit Signature. Please include your location in your Profile (not your Signature).

Thread Hijacks are a no-no, in the future if in doubt, begin a new topic. :wink:

If you haven't read the Articles in Pool School - that's a good place to start...though you seem somewhat familiar with our site, hence the test kit and using the Pool Calculator. Great first steps! Have you read Pool School?

You don't give a CYA level? Is this a brand new pool with fresh fill water?

The TA test can be tricky - repeat the test, this time wiping the dropper tips with a damp cloth in between drops. Update us as to the new result.

Don't add any acid yet.

Your chlorine - you need to shock your pool to lower the CC. But we need to know your CYA level first, to determine your shock level.

Welcome to TFP!

Have you added any CYA to the water? You should be aiming for a CYA level between 30 and 50.

Don't raise FC above 5 before you add any CYA. Do raise FC to 5 tonight. Without CYA you will lose all your chlorine to sunlight each day, so add more in the evenings.

Your TA is very high, so lower the PH down to around 7.2 and let it come back up on it's own.

Since your TA test never turned red, you didn't actually complete the test and we don't know your actual results. So please repeat the test, wiping the tips with a damp cloth between drops, and see if that makes a difference. Then we can advise how to proceed.

If you filled the tube and could still see the black dot, your CYA level is zero (or really close). That is what I would expect it to be in a newly filled pool. You need to add some CYA up to between 30 and 50, as I said before.

Don't forget to add some chlorine tonight.

massam said:
okay little more info we have had about 5" of rain the last 4 days

readings are as follows

fc 0
cc 1
tc 1
ph 7.8
ta 350
cya 200+ filled tube and still could see black dot?

When you said "just opened" is this new fill water? Or did the pool have water in it but it was winterized?

Jason's right, that means your CYA is zero. It looks like your going to need to purchase Muratic Acid, Bleach and CYA from the store today.

So read Recommended Levels in Pool School - you've got some work to do. :wink:

You need to shock your pool - you have a CC of 1 and you need it to be .5 or less, so add enough chlorine to raise it to 10 until you can get some CYA in the pool.

Do you know how to add CYA? Do you know how to shock the pool?

Did you try the dropper tip/wipe with damp cloth while doing the TA test?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.